• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ramsinks on 9700pro needed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, you could get an 80mm fan blowing from front to back airflow first to see if the fan cools the vid card enough. That way you are doing no real mods to the vid card and probably cheap if you have an extra fan around. Also it depends on your case cooling. If you have good case flow the ramsinks still would be usefull but if you didnt have good airflow you might need a fan and ramsinks to keep it fairly cool.

making your own ramsinks is always a good idea. those little ram modules get pretty hot, and while (for me anyway) it has never given me a single extra megahert of o'c, i think that chips running cooler last longer. i've ramsinked a tnt2, a gf2mx400, and a gf4ti4600.

plus, if you do a nice job, it'll be nice to look at. all the coolers and cool stuff that go into the gpu cooler are not able to be looked at, so something on the back (top) of the card are nice, for all those window&light modders out there. ;)

These heatsinks I bought from Radio Shack are not pretty, but they do a great job. I'm able to clock my mem to 365/728 with them.

276-1368.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...name=CTLG_005_007_004_000&product_id=276-1368

cikotic said:
These heatsinks I bought from Radio Shack are not pretty, but they do a great job. I'm able to clock my mem to 365/728 with them.

Just curious, but what were you able to clock your Ram to without the ramsinks?

340 was the max b4 I added the Ramsinks.

I must also add that these ramsinks overlap the mem. In addition, they have a hole in them for screwing them down but since they overlap the mem, the hole is not a problem. In fact, I think because they overlap the mem, they actually help in the cooling because of the extra cooling surface.

I know it sounds odd, but the proof is in the pudding... They absolutly perform wonderfully for me.

Edit: One other thing... I've read that when heatsinks are thick at the base and taper off to the tips of the fins they perform much better. These heatsinks are made in this fashion. Maybe that's whey they perform so good.

Back