• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Really Need Your Most Honest Opinion Here! Intel/AMD..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OC-Master

Ok, I decided to post this in the General Computer Related Discussion to get the most accurate results. I know that if I posted this under AMD CPUs or Intel CPUs, there would be a higher percentage push towards one side. This is not really a Intel VS AMD situation but more friend VS friend computers.

Here's the situation,, My brother is building an Intel Rig and his friend is building an AMD rig. The question is...

WHO'S IS GONNA BE FASTER!?

Brother's RIG:

MSI 875-P Motherboard
2.40C Pentium4 o/ced to 2.80GHz (933MHz FSB(12X233))
1.00GB Kingston PC3200 CL3 (2x512MB Chips)
MSI GeForceFX 5200
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy3 (This year's generation guess)
2 x 80GB Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 S-ATA in RAID0
Antec LanBoy Case with 350Watt True Antec PSU

Brother's Friend's RIG:

Abit NF7-S Rev2.0
AthlonXP Barton 2500+ o/ced to 2.39GHz (11X217)
1.00GB Corsair TwinX PC3200 CL2 LL (2X512MB Chips)
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
nForce Sound Storm Sound
2 x 80GB Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 S-ATA in RAID0
Antec 1080 Series 21" Case with 430Watt True Antec PSU

This information should be more than enough to give everyone a general idea on overall performance. I'm sick of the arguments and I just need to know,, which one is gonna be faster... and I'm not just talking 3D, were talking business apps, internet surfing and so forth.

They will be reading all the comments on this thread, so please give send your thoughts with some good explaination of why one is better over the other.

EDIT: One last thing,, who's do you think will cost less??? Any feedback on price would be most appreciated.

I will start... LOL,,, I'm sorry but I think my brother should scrap the GeForceFX card and get faster Ram. I think CL3 will hurt his overclocking so bad that I dont even think he'll make that FSB.

Thanks in advance everyone... and lets please keep this clean.. hence I dont need a mod having to clean up this thread.

OC-Master

Last edited:
I'd say your brothers...i mean look at the memory bandwidth your going to get with that Intel...it's HUGE!!!

until now i'd say the playing fields were level but with these new chips it's questionable...although AMD is cheaper thus the sig ;)

**EDIT**

an interesting test..

go to futuremark, take any XP and figure how high it usually overclocks (in my case 2500's usually get about 2.2) look up the scores on a given card, again iin my case the 4600 those scores are around 14.5k

Now take it's intels "equal" counterpart, which i'd say is the 2.4, those usually overclock to 2.7-2.9 those scores are around 15k

but which one costs more (currently they are about the same but for quiet some time the AMD was cheaper)

just wait till these 800mhz chips get mainstream i suspect some change

The AMD system has a much better video card, no competition in 3D... and the overclock on the Barton is going to push it past the Intel in most benchies...

yes the amd system at that speed will be quite a bit faster.

2.4 amd is equivalent to about 3.2-3.4ghz intel. the other system is only 2.8ghz.

hmm, i didnt notice that overclock...quiet good (i've been trying very hard to hit 2.4)

In all reality i dont think either computer will have a huge difference with the other when looked at as a whole.

AMD @ 2.4, wow

Intel /w 933mhz FSB...more then wow

a 933 mhz bus sounds very nice...but the price payed for it will be much higher than the 2500+.....if it were me, I would've built the AMD system just because the extra money would not be worth the extra performance(which is actually sort of small)......but thats just my opinion

am i just nuts or besides the cache on the barton, if what yo want is only 2.4ghz then why not just use a 1700 tbred-b dlt3c chip? they seem to do that all day on air! i mean does the extra cache really give a noticable improvement?

The_Jizzler said:
i mean does the extra cache really give a noticable improvement?

No, you're not nutz (for that reason at least).

There's some performance boost, but nothing to get excited about and certainly doesn't justify the heftier price tag (yet). If more apps were optimized to take advantage of that, perhaps we'd see some benefit.

Pinky said:

No, you're not nutz (for that reason at least).

There's some performance boost, but nothing to get excited about and certainly doesn't justify the heftier price tag (yet). If more apps were optimized to take advantage of that, perhaps we'd see some benefit.

yea...i know :rolleyes:

but what am i supose to do now :)

you see this is my very first system and i wasnt sure what i'd actually be able to get out of it...

i think i'll be able to hit 2.4 in a short while quiet honestly, i've gotten it to run there however it wont run stable...a little burn in of the CPU, a little setting of the arctic silver, i think all will be grand

your brothers is gonna suck at gaming with that card.but he does have the better memory bandwith wich will help but not enough.
he also is gonna pay alot more for the crappy gaming speeds he will recieve.upgrade the card and id say it might have a fighting chance.

the freinds rig looks like someone here advised him on building.everything is just perfect,and id take it any day over your brothers rig.
better agp card by a mile.
alot better ram.
2.4ghz amd is alot faster than 2.8 intel ghz at almost everything.
he paid alot less as he got sound storm for free on the mobo.
hes saved alot of money going the route he did also.

just on a side note it looks like both will be running sata raid0.i hope they know the problems with the controllers on thier mobos.
the silicone image raid is having serous issues and far as i know the latest driver fix didnt fix it either.id suggest a pci sata raid card or just hold off on running raid until its fixed.

so i do say the friends rig is alot faster.

Aparently the 5200 is a lower grade card?

I honestly have no idea due to the fact that i never paid attention to the new ones...

the 5200 is alot lower than even a gf4ti4200
it has more directx 9 capabilitys but runs like a gf4mx440
its a decent card but i wouldnt put it in a gaming rig.

I Think your brother's rig is going to be held back by the video card. If he got the same video card I would bet on his. But, the FX5200 is pretty weak. The 9500 pro is going to eat for breakfast.

what do you mean, 12x233 on the p4? i guess everyone was too busy saying amd would win to realize the fallacy in that statement :p

the 2.4 has a 133mhz bus stock, which means that the FIXED multiplier is 18. there's no way to lower the multiplier so he should rethink his overclock and not get his hopes up, even though 2.8ghz isn't out of the question with 18*160 (2880) and agressive memory timings will help the memory bandwidth even more, making the fsb way over 160.

jeff

Jeff Bolton said:
what do you mean, 12x233 on the p4? i guess everyone was too busy saying amd would win to realize the fallacy in that statement :p

the 2.4 has a 133mhz bus stock, which means that the FIXED multiplier is 18. there's no way to lower the multiplier so he should rethink his overclock and not get his hopes up, even though 2.8ghz isn't out of the question with 18*160 (2880) and agressive memory timings will help the memory bandwidth even more, making the fsb way over 160.

jeff
im not an intel knowledgable person.but i do believe your statement is correct also.even if the fsb had been that high it still wouldnt beat the other system.

im not an amd fanboy i do look at everything objectivly.as i think most people on this have also.but with the statement made it shows not as much care and thought was put into his build and the rig will sufer do to that.

Jeff Bolton said:

jeff

hmmm...uhhh....welll i saw it i just uh....

right...

anyways, a P4 running in dual channel is going to beat just about any AMD system when it comes to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back