• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel stock fan question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cereal Killa

Hi all.
I bought this pré build system.
Pentium 4 2.00 Ghz, 60 GB hd,....
Anyway, my fan goes @ ~4500-4600 RPM. And it's surprisingly quiet. So, is an Intel stock fan for a P4 2.00 Ghz able to go 4500-4600 RPM? Or would it be another fan placed by the factory?
It's a kinda small black fan. (It looks cheap :) )
My temps are 40 °C @ 2.32 Ghz and ambient temps are ~25-30 °C

Ow yeah, and my system has no other fans (except for the power ofcourse ;) ) so there's no other cooling going on.

Hey, welcome to the forums.

My guess is its a stock Intel fan, or one that follows Intel's specs to the letter. Intel requires that system builders use heatsinks and fans that meet their specifications to qualify for warranty coverage, and the specs you quote are in that range. Unless it was built by a homebuilder I doubt if it would use a retail Intel processor package, but if it did the included fan would be very similar to what you describe.

The stock/OEM spec Intel HSF combo is surprisingly good. As you noted it doesn't make a lot of noise and it does an admirable job of cooling for an OEM setup. Getting a 10% overclock out of a stock HSF is pretty common. With most other processors you have to replace the HSF before you even think about overclocking.

BHD

I believe I read in a magazine some where that the stock intel fan worked suprisingly well. I'll see if i can find it when i get home and see what it says

Ok well i found it. The review of fans was in the winter 2002 special edition of maximum pc. Ok well they rated it a 8 out of 10. THey also say that the fan spins at 2900 rpm. It came with a p4 2 ghz and they were able to overclock it too 2.3 ghz and running at 107 degree's F. Not sure what that is in celcius. I would get a diffrent heatsink/fan but if your strapped for cash it sounds like it would work ok.

To make sure the fan is authentic, it should have a large holographic "Intel" sticker on the motor part of the fan. And yeah, the stock heatsink does real well, good job for Intel. In fact, does better than my 6000rpm fan with a horrible ThermalTake P4 Dragon.

TheMightyBuck said:
all your intel stock hsf are belong to us

Invasion of the gabber robots is sooo good :)

Anyway...

Yeah, my stock HSF keeps it fairly cool and my rig folds the whole time, so it isn't too bad.

4500 RPM seems way too high for the stock intel fan though. My one ran at about 2700 RPM. Maybe your monitoring program / BIOS is reporting the fan speed incorrectly. You said the fan was quiet, and I'm pretty sure that a 70mm fan @ 4500 RPM wouldn't seem very quiet.

I don't think they have thermal sensors on them. Well, maybe you have a newer one or something. When I used mine, it never changed speed going from idle to full load (about 40°c to 55°c).

Nope, no thermal sensor on the fan. Should be about 2,400 RPM or thereabouts. Maybe the fan or Motherboard is dodgy and it is "double-counting" each rotation.

I'm fairly sure mine does not, from a 1.6 Willamette Retail. I know they have changed the design a little since then, so maybe...

Ok. I've seen my housemates P4 2Ghz (A-Northwood) and it is a little different, so it could be it.

Could be double-counting or could be something else.
Anyway, I'm glad my temps aren't sky-high.
Another question about a reply here.
What's folding?

Cereal Killa said:
What's folding?

Folding at Home is a distributed computing project, the purpose of which is to learn how proteins fold and misfold.

The hope is that this will lead to future research that can help scientists come up with better treatments/cures for many of todays common ailments. But the most important part of the project is putting together an effective model of how to fold and unfold proteins with supercomputer power.

This project harnesses the power of thousands of individual PC's connected to the internet by breaking down the necessary work and allowing those individual computers to work on small pieces of information and then returning the calculated results to Stanford University.

If you want to join go to the Folding Team page in the forums.

We love new folders. Please feel free to drop in and start a thread, even if you need more convincing. I fold by the way, we have about 600 people folding from these forums. Want to join? :)

Well, I would if I had my own system.
But I'm only 15 and I have to share this PC with 2 brothers, a sis and my mother :mad:
:( :( :(

I'm getting a new pc in a few months (at least, I hope:p )

Back