• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how can I get my modem sound thru my speakers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flamed_Chip

What the title says, I can't hardly hear my modem on full volume 'cos of my speakers, and if it makes the handshake noise twice it connectes really slow, so I need to hear it, is there any software I can use to get the sound to come thru my speakers like it does on a laptop?

Thanks for your help.

Have a look on the back of the modem - normally there are line-out sockets beside the phone jack... a headphone jack to headphone jack lead will connect the modem to your sound card's LINE IN socket.

Failing that, check the settings in Control Panel for your modem - many have volume controls - and yours might be set to be quiet.

Urrrhhhh... Bump?

Have a look at the modem itself - there may be a connector on it that looks like the CD-Audio cables (you know, the little cable that goes from CD drive to soundcard, so you can hear your music CDs?)

See if theres one of those... and if so, have a play :D (btw - there MAY be one labeled RI or Ring Indicate - thats not a line out, that lets the modem wake up the computer if the phone line rings)

If there isn't a connector, and you feel brave, solder some wires onto the BACK of the little speaker thing on the modem (the speaker is the black cylinder, with a hole in the top, normally right near the edge of the modem) and run some wires to your line-in on the soundcard OR just extend the little speaker and put it somewhere more audiable....

I think I'll go with the soldering iron, I already checked the modem before I posted, sorry, forgot to mention that, thats why I wondered if there was a software alternative. I have plenty of other cheap 56k spare modems if it screws up. I'll go for it

Good luck.

Before you do, have you considered timing how long your modem takes to connect, and have a good/bad connection? (I mean, the handshake takes IIRC (broadband :D) 4 seconds or so, so could you use that, or is it too variable?)

Back