• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compaq 7470 onbord Sound ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cozmo_d

I know this belongs in the sound forum but I need Help & I need it now Please...........

Ive never built a pc that has had onbord sound & if they did I just disabled it & installed a SB or some add on SC

Well I got myself into a Pickle... a friend of mine asked me if I could Install an OS for his Pc wich is a Compaq 7470, It had a virus that filled up his HD.

It had WinME on it & I thought a np Ill just format it & install XP & It'll be a walk in the park 3-4 hours top right ? WRONG !!!

Xp will not install, it gets 3/4 through the install & bluescreens with some warnings wich might as well say yer faked in Chinese tryed 3 times no dice tho, so I decided to install 98v2 for him since his Me CD Couldnt be read by the cdrom (scratched up real bad)

This is the Pc from hell & im not kiddin Its taken me 2 dayes to find a Video driver for his onbord Trident blade 3d MVP4 (63), theres plenty of Trident blade 3d MVP4 drivers out there on the net but just try to find the one that works for this Compaq 7470
(I finaly Found it Thankyou God)

Ok anyways I know Im ranting but its been crazy & now I finaly found the Video Driver & its lookin up, but the Onbord sound is Killin me Now I tryed to install a SB PCI 16 but the dam thing bluescreens.... It will not install the drivers for the SB16 PCI so
I tryed the other 3 PCI Slots, No Dice So I yanked it Out & Proceded to Locate drivers for the Onbord sound
Ive been to Compaqs sight & ya they had a driver but does it work.....:mad: NO

Ive been to Drivers.com Sounddrivers.com & a bunch of other places & ive installed & uninstalled about 20 different drivers @ least the file names were differant, but there all suposed to be for the ESS ES1989s allegro onbord audio & many of them even mentioned the fact that they were for the Compaq 7470 Pc but they do not work !!!

Another curiouse thing that I do not understand is that I do not see anything for sound under device manager ?? is that typical for Onbord sound ?

Im freekin lost & ready to smash this Unit into a mud hole........ Ive spent more time on the sound problem than the video & that took 2 dayes

If anyone has some solution Id be eternaly in your debt

The chipset is
North= VIA VT8501
South= VT82C686A

the onbord sound chip has this writen on it
ESS
ES1989s
allegro

The Mobo is a Mitac 5114VU also known as the TWA-Camaro
(Wich remindes me Id Like to drop it from a plane & run it over with a Camaro)

The Unit was sold as Compaq Presario 7470

Ive searched all of this information & come up bone dry for the sound If someone feels Like a challange Please Help

Hoping Larva drops in on this post

Sorry for the rantings but ive been awake 24hours before making this post.... Fealin like a loon !!!!

Thx in advance!!!

Last edited:
Do you at least see some listings under other devices? If there is nothing with yellow splats that the computer doesn't recognize, and nothing under the sound card section, you may be hosed.

Scrimer There is absolutly nothing in the device manager relating to sound

No yellow( ! ) or ( ? ) Either

When I Repartishoned & formated tho it had some cheesy aftermarket sound card in it & I couldnt find any drivers for it either so I yanked it Out & put a SB PCI 16 in it but Like I said earlier it will not Install the drivers for that card (It bluescreens everytime I try) So I tryed the other 3 PCI slots.... Same thing

So I decided Ill try to get the Onbord sound working but no luck so far

Was wondering Should I reformat again ? Maybe it will recognize the Onbord Sound this time without a pci sound card Pluged in during the Install ???

Man I hate to do that cuz its been HE-DoubleHockeysticks getting this Far

Im not going away untill this gets fixed LOL so lets pull our resourses People !!!

:)

http://www.partsolver.com/SearchRes...PRESARIO7470&SearchType=ModelNumber&x=97&y=27

VIA VT8501 APOLLO MVP4 66 / 100 MHz Single-Chip Socket-7

http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/drivers/17/17474.htm

http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/drivers/46/46992.htm

http://www.mitacservice.com/visitor/v_filebrw_result.asp <--- Your BEST bet is right here for Drivers... includes 95/98/SE/2000

http://www.video-drivers.com/companies/685.htm

Above is for reference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question #1. Does that system have an AMD K6-II 533 Mhz CPU? ( from the info you have given... it might be. Cause I found that Camero system board in the first link above. )

Question #2. Does that system still have the original System Restore Disk / CD?

Question #3. Do the Hard disk drive cable/s show any signs of damage?

Question #4. Was HDD checked out with anti-virus software and did it report back that there was one?

As of right now and off the top of my head... The symptoms that you have mentioned during the installation of your OS might be from having a bad stick/s of RAM. I've seen that WAY to many times. Use a known good one to tryout. And do a fdisk /mbr then format/s to C:.

Last edited:
i have a close family member with that very same compaq comp. It has the nimda virus all over it and windows ME. It has got to be the worst pc ever built i swear. I have had nothing but problems with it even after formatting and partioning. Had to get a new stick of ram for the darn thing because the ram it came with was bad. I would recommend to anyone not buy a compaq or at least not this kind. I would also recommend that you build your own!!! (for the few that don't) You get what you pay for

Question #1. Does that system have an AMD K6-II 533 Mhz CPU? ( from the info you have given... it might be. Cause I found that Camero system board in the first link above. )

Yes it does

Question #2. Does that system still have the original System Restore Disk / CD?

I wish.... But no he purchased it used from some place called computer guys He said the only cd they gave him was Windows Me

Question #3. Do the Hard disk drive cable/s show any signs of damage?

No but if More problems Persist Ill swap them out for the heck of it I have some new ones

Question #4. Was HDD checked out with anti-virus software and did it report back that there was one?

No he did not have any AV software installed on this Pc But I can conferm there was some sort of Virus Wich was duplicating files & filling up the HD This is no longer a Problem

As of right now and off the top of my head... The symptoms that you have mentioned during the installation of your OS might be from having a bad stick/s of RAM. I've seen that WAY to many times. Use a known good one to tryout. And do a fdisk /mbr then format/s to C

Have allready Done this His stick of ram seems to be fine After I disassembled his Pc Cleaned it (was very dirty) Removed his Hs/Fan & applied AS3 & removed the 56k Modem & the pci Sound card... XPpro has now installed with no problems & Xp even had a driver for his Onbord Video but the onbord sound is still not funtioning & again In the device manager it does not report any onbord sound/ESS 1998s Allegro was what I expected to find in the device mgr but no....

I just Updated Xp pro & will chek out your Links Im also trying the Compaq/Hp sight again if thoes links do not pan out

Thx Man

Mastametz said:
i have a close family member with that very same compaq comp. It has the nimda virus all over it and windows ME. It has got to be the worst pc ever built i swear. I have had nothing but problems with it even after formatting and partioning. Had to get a new stick of ram for the darn thing because the ram it came with was bad. I would recommend to anyone not buy a compaq or at least not this kind. I would also recommend that you build your own!!! (for the few that don't) You get what you pay for

I bought one pc in my Life It was a Compaq about 7 years ago

Huge Mistake !!!

I Tryed to get him to let me build him a new Pc but he has limited funds so Im trying to get this one Revived

Im using it too post this Msg & its runing very nicley except for the Onbord Sound Driver issue

According to the Mobo.doc from Mitac

Interfaces and Controllers
· VIA MVP4 chipset
The chipset consists of the VT82C8501 north bridge and the VT82C686A PCI Super I/O Integrated Peripheral controller.

· Audio Controller
ESS ES1989 audio controller, compatible with Sound Blaster Pro and Windows Sound System

· Video Controller
AGP controller (integrated in VT82C8501), supporting 2.0 AGP Interface and 64-bit graphics with video acceleration

· I/O Interfaces
The VT82C686A controller supports:
- One standard/ECP/EPP parallel port (DB25-F)
- One RS-232C serial port (DB9-M)
- One PS/2 keyboard connector (6-pin mini-DIN)
- One PS/2 mouse connector (6-pin mini-DIN)
- One VGA port (DB15-F, 3-rows)
- One game/MIDI port (DB15-F, 2-rows)
- Two USB connectors on the rear panel
- Three audio ports for Line-in/Mic-in/Line-out (jack)
- Two PCI-IDE connectors for four IDE devices (jack)
- One floppy disk drive connector (jack)

This is the mobo chipset altho it has 3 mem busses not 2

I much appreciate your help

Ive been to thoes links earlier today :(

The Mitak sight is nice but there drivers do not work

I just tryed 98/2k for this mobo still no sound

Gona try Compaqs drivers again LOL

If that dosent work Im thinking of getting brave & trying to install the soundblaster 16 Pci card again if that dosent work Ill try his cheesy arse Sound card that was in it when I got it here but I think it was what was creating all the Hangups during Install to begin with Wish me Luck & still lookin fer a driver for the Onboard sound for this mobo thx

Ok I think I found the answer
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=69

Scrool down It has the onbord audio driver for this mobo chipset

Problem tho when I tryed to run it.... it told me that the Ac97 chip is disabled in the bios

Ive been in the bios & its one of thoes compaq special bioses that give the user limited access & it does not allow me too inable/disable the onbord sound

Guess Im on a bios hunt now

Found the bios for the mobo (not from compaq) flashed it has a nice bios now Disabled all onbord sound Installed the SB 16 PCI

As xp was trying to load its drivers for the card it would do a memory dump tryed again & no dice

Yanked the SB card Installed his Old sound card wich is a C-Media
CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio card & guess what Xp loded the drivers for it & Presto

ITS ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ITS ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

LIGHTNING STRIKES IN THE BACK GROUND...... THUNDER ROLLS...... HAIRS STAND ON END ...................

PRAISE GOD HALILUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

WE HAVE IGNITION !!!!!!!!! GO GO GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thx for the help all

What a learning experiance this has been !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see you found a fix to your problem you know the forums are the place to go if you need help this reminds me of speed racer where sentances never come to and end and they just keep talking and talking with no punctuation and no stopping.

Hehe, J/K. :D

LMBO... Gold I was so tired man I could hardley funtion let alone type.

heh heh My spelling sux's to :)

Back