• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying new monitor, can't find reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bert202

I'm trying to find some sites that review monitors. All the hardware and overclocking sites i've looked at have maybe two or three monitors and most are out dated by a year or two. Could someone recomend a site with lots of reviews for me? i've looked for hours with no success. I have not been able to find good ones at stores because all the stores that i went to didn't display graphics that would test the monitor and didn't have the specs present. I went to one place that didn't have the monitors turned on and didn't show any specs more than price and size, grrr :mad:, stupid stores.

Also, if you have any good monitors to recomend. I have a budget of around 200, i can go more if the monitor is truely worth it but not by to much.

thanks a lot.:)

edit: sorry about the miss placement of this thread, i saw the spot to put it 10 min later... i'm still to new here to know where this stuff goes... and i need my glasses, off to nightstand!

Last edited:
are you looking for a new or old monitor? I picked up an 8 month old Sony G520 off og craig's list for $150 which was a great deal.

I was hoping to get a new one because it sounds better :D

I also don't really want to get a used monitor because of it's having been shiped from a store to someones home and then back to the store and then to me. so i would like a new one i think.

try to get a viewsonic or trinitron (sp?) ive heard those are good
look for a small dot pitch i like about .25 and below

also i wouldnt buy one off the net, i would go to a local store, where you can see the monitor to make sure its in good working order, and looks like you want one.

(oh yea next time, you could look in the digital imaging device forum thing, its a sub-forum of general hardware, ask the people in there, they'd prolly know)

PCWORLD.com has some review there. They usually have the top 10 for each category (IE 19" CRT, 17" LCD, ETC...). I would go for a Samsung, Sony, or viewsonic.
BTW what kind of monitor and size are you looking for?

Thanks for the link!

I was hoping for 17 or 19 inch. I want a crt because good lcd's are a lot more than $200. i plan on getting unreal tournament2003 in a few weeks so i would like a semigood monitor. I think i can spare close to 300 now, talked my mom into pitching in on the project.

www.neoseeker.com

Just search for whatever model you wish and most of the time it'll get you a list of reviews on some sites.

Works for just about any piece of hardware too, great search engine.

You can also try and look at amazon.com. First find the monitor that you want and there is usually user feedback listed underneath the product.

Bestbuy has a Viewsonic 19" I think for 229. You dont have to dish out 300 dollars for a good 19" monitor. Maybe a year ago you would have to for any viewsonic. Now you could probably get a deal for a 21" for 300. But thats a monster.

www.tomshardware.com

I have a viewsonic a90f+. It's not the professional monitor, but sure looks better than the professional if you ask me. I really liked the ultrabrite feature, even though I use it all the time, and custom tuning of colors is nice, but also available with other brands. The viewsonic just looks so damn good here.

I really think my base model viewsonic looks better than my buddies P220F. Bigger monitors are made with a different tech, but still SHOULD look better than my $250 monitor.

I wish people would review more monitors. Sure other stuff is more marketable, but what one part of your computer do you use more?

Tom said the Samsung SyncMaster D957DF was pretty much crap, but PC World gave it the best score out of the 19"s... or are these two differen't monitors? The one PC World did was the 957MB, and the one Tom did was Samsung SyncMaster D957DF, but when I search yahoo shopping i get no results for D957DF... am I being a complete idiot?

[edit] at the samsun website they show a black 957FD, whatever.

Kilomph said:
Tom said the Samsung SyncMaster D957DF was pretty much crap, but PC World gave it the best score out of the 19"s... or are these two differen't monitors? The one PC World did was the 957MB, and the one Tom did was Samsung SyncMaster D957DF, but when I search yahoo shopping i get no results for D957DF... am I being a complete idiot?

[edit] at the samsun website they show a black 957FD, whatever.
yes

thats funny man.

I just went to a comp shop, or best buy actually, and bought the monitor that looked the best.

I was amazed when we went monitor shopping. This time we drove in the opposite direction of before and found a Best Buy. I was impressed with their selection and they had some good movies to test them out.

I was also amazed by my mom. We walked over to where the monitors were and i pointed to a 17" flat screen and said "wow! i want one of those!!" and she said that she'd get it for me. I got a $500 17" Sony SDM-HS73 it is very nice and bright with very good picture and on the movie clip (matrix, fast and furious...etc.) it had no ghosting and looked better than my tv. From what i've seen so far i would recomend this lcd.

Thanks for your help! :cool:

Back