• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fiji

ok when putting together my computer, what are some things a first timer might overlook?

ive upgraded my computer alot, never wore a static wristband, i just discharged myself on something before i started working

well basically im worried about static, and if you guys could give me some tips

and also maybe things you had to learn the hard way about building em

ok well thanks for your suggestions/tips guys

--fiji

Here's a couple:

Check all your connections.. that goes for everything.. doublecheck the type of RAM that the motherboard supports, that the socket is right (or slot type), make sure the board supports the speed of the processor.

If you are getting a motherboard with onboard features, make sure they are actually on there.. I've gotten a few boards that said they had onboard features, but the retailer only had the no-onboard features version.

For static, it really depends on how careful you care to be. For a server, you want to be extra careful, and thouroughly ground yourself with wrist bands, ancle grounds, anti-static mats, etc. For a normal machine, you don't have to be so crazy about it. Basically, hold boards by their edges, and not their contacts or any components. "Lean" on the case, that will ground you to the case. Make sure the case is plugged in, this will ground the case to the house's ground. One of the best tip's I've ever heard is that if your in doubt, use the anti-static bag as a glove, that will protect the board, but after you use it like that, don't put components back in the bag, as a static charge may remain inside. Then, of course, there are the people who will ignore any static safety. What you have to understand about static is that you cannot see, or feel anything when you are damaging components. They will keep working like normal, then all of a sudden, glitches will start to appear, your computer will crash more often, possible data corruption, etc. Most of the time, a static shock won't fry a component, or render it useless, but instead will create havoc inside the chips.

so what your saying, is first thing to ground my case

i should put in my psu, plug it into the wall, and turn the psu off on the button in the back?

i think im gunna be careful and spend the extra 5 bucks on the anti-static wristband

A wrist ban is a good Idea. Something that I always do, just out of precaution is stay off of carpet and other places that you can easily build up static.

Apilot21 said:
A wrist ban is a good Idea. Something that I always do, just out of precaution is stay off of carpet and other places that you can easily build up static.

oh, i hear that

best to leave the power turned on at the back of the PSU. There's no chance of it accidentally turning on, until you plug the PSU into the motherboard and hook up the power switch. (or short the pins that the power switch connects to).

Also-- don't work on carpet. If you havn't done this before, find some carpet in your house, then rub your feet back and forth on it for a while, then touch a nearby doorknob.
If you can feel the spark, then there was more than 3500volts exchanged.
If you can hear it, then there was more than 4000volts
If you can see it, then there was over 5000volts

Potentially, you can accumulate 250volts by just waving your arm in the air.

To damage an original Pentium chip, you only need 10 volts.

Bipolar transistors -------- 380 to 7000 Volt
CMOS logic device -------- 250 to 3000 Volt
EPROM devices ------------ 100 volt
Film resistors --------------- 300 to 3000 Volt
TTL logic devices -----------1000 to 2500 Volt
Microprocessor chips ------ as low as 10 Volt

Not to scare you or anything.. these are just the facts. As long as you adequately ground yourself, you'll be fine. The idea is that the components will always be perfectly grounded, and that you will always be perfectly grounded, so there is no flow of static electricity.

Though I've upgraded all my computers in my carpeted room (without wrist-straps) and have yet to have a fatality. You're probably thinking I'm living dangerously, but I'm allways sure to have one hand ALLWAYS somehow touching my metal case. Any charge I get picked up goes right into that thing, and not into my precious mobo.

Though I will admit that keeping a hand on the case at all times can be quite challenging when installing some components :D
JigPu

One thing that helps protect against static is to only work in high-humidity weather. The water in the air can do a pretty good job of grounding you.

Carnil said:
One thing that helps protect against static is to only work in high-humidity weather. The water in the air can do a pretty good job of grounding you.
Some componenets don't like over 80% humidity, and especially condensation. 20-80% is usually the accepted range. Good idea though, never thought of raising the humidity.

Back