• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what to get for 140$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2

Registered
i have p4 2.4. winfastmx440 and 80gb western digital 2mb and not sure if it is ddr33 or ddr400 kingston ram with 250w psu and asusp4pe board what you guys suggest me to get for 140$ i couldnt pass 165fsb with this cpu but the ram can handle up to 440mhz is it becase of the ram or the cpu?and my temps are around 39-40C with stock fan is it because of the heat?thks...

Welcome to the boards!

You ram cant handle 440mhz (well i doubt it) it can handle 220mhz...although i question where you get this number as you dont even know what speed it is.

and keep in mind that 220x18 (18 being the multiplier in that CPU) would be 3900mhz soooooooo dont count on that high of a FSB.

As for $140 what to get...kinda hard to say. Quiet frankly i'd buy yourself a new PSU if not a whole case. Generally speaking 250watts even on a great PSU is not enough especially for the overclockers...

you never know too, that may be the reason your CPU isnt running faster. It may just need more juice but isnt getting it.

Hope taht helps

thanks for the welcome :)i tried to o/c my cpu and i can reach 2.9mhz(165fsb) and set to ram to 440mhz after i set to 170fsb even if i set the ram to 350mhz my computer is not stable.my friend told me my ram is is ddr400 but it saysddr33 onthe package he checked the number on the ram chip and he toldme
D32DW-50 the 50 means 5ns ram and has to be ddr400 is this correct?

i want to reach 3200 with this chip you think if i buy 512mb corsair pc3500 can i reach that?

If you've got the right cooling and if your PC is capable of that, quiet frankly 3500 isnt even needed...

infact pc3200 isnt needed for that overclock...just because it's rated for 400mhz...it wont always run that fast (you nkow that)

Although it is going to be some better ram then what you got. But dont expect it to give you some magical power to hit 3.2ghz

how can i know the speed of my ram ? you know i dont want to waste money to something that is useless.135$for 512mb corsair pc3500 for example if i set my fsb to 180 and my ram speed to 360mhz will the computer still work?imean is it the ram limiting my o/c?or it is the heat?

i know itis ddr 33 but my friedn told me it is ddr400here what i says ont he chip: D32DW-50 ,the 50 here mean 5ns ram?and he told me it has to be 6 to be pc2700 here is a picture
jajfdaja.jpg

as you see :i played unreal2 about 20minutes and there was no problem

doh, it says right there...it's PC2700

Ok heres the deal

your ram is rated @ 166mhz FSB

So i guess it wouldnt be too out of line to buy 512mb of pc3200...

if anything that extra 256mb of ram shoudl help out a lot...

But i would still recomend you eventually look at buying a $60+power supply...

heh iknow it says pc2700 anyways you suggestme to buya corsair 1x 512mb pc3500?or you are saying it is a waste of money just stay with this ram and buy something else?

and also i have other 256mb pc2100 ram but iam not using it with this computer and also iam buying slk900 with 92mm tornado

You'll never reach that high of a FSB so i think pc3500 is a waste of money yes...

but i would say it would be worth it to buy a stick of 512mb pc3200, it's higher quality ram with lower lat. timings and might (keyword...might) enable you to reach that 3.2ghz, but dont count on it.

Kingston is good ram when in spec, but it generally doesnt overclock very well

ps2 said:
and also i have other 256mb pc2100 ram but iam not using it with this computer and also iam buying slk900 with 92mm tornado

Like i said, go get soem crosair pc3200 (make sure you get yourself the XMS stuff ;) ) and you surely have good cooling so, just see what you can get.

Back