• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What did my "friend" break guys....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timmyqwest

Disabled
Well, the other night my "friend" was loosing his patients as he was trying to install a network card. Needless to say to install the floppy drive that wasnt there he had to take out a stick of ram.

After a few min's of banging fingers on rough edges and such my "friend" was ready to put the ram in. It was late and "he" needed to go to bed soon and wasnt even sure that this was going to fix "his" (windows would recognize the network card but wouldnt connect to the router even after manualling entering all the IP's) problem. He quickly put the ram in and thought both clips snapped.

When "he" turned on his brand new $600+ computer (no less then 3 days old) and he heard a faint crackle that slowly (slow relative to the amount of time...5 seconds) begain to snap snap and smell.

He turned off the PSU but it was too late, niether stick would boot his new ($600+) rig.

He RMA'd the motherboard and the RAM and it is on it's way (he will have to wait about 1 1/2 weeks) but he just wants to make sure "he" didnt hurt anything else...PCI/AGP devices....CPU...

:mad: :rolleyes: :(

a very shamefull

~Tim~

Play with it until it explodes.

Then post pictures. :)

(I imagine he might've forced his RAM in backwards.)

"Experience is a dear school".
I really think it is best to mess around with old giveaway systems until you have an idea what is going on.
While I feel sorry for his loss, if he had to pay for the stuff, I think he might be a little more careful. Haste makes waste.
If nothing else, a quick look inside with a flashlight might have prevented that.
My Maglight is never far from my computer.

Heh, you guys are dense...

he is me

I've played with many systems, it was simply a matter of frustration impatients, tired-ness and lack of time all mixed into one.

I did pay for everything ;)

but luckly i talked to newegg and they had no problem with replacing it (which i was shocked to find).

I think the real problem is that the ram fits decently in there backwards (compaird to SDRAM)

needless to say, this is a mistake that wont happen EVER again.

Yes, but there is always a new mistake to make.
But making new mistakes doesn't make you feel quite as stupid as when you repeat one.
I haven't made any dumb, hardware killing mistakes in several months now.
It is a streak I intend to keep going.

timmyqwest said:
Heh, you guys are dense...
OK... and who just fried there RAm and MB? LOL

I still have yet to put RAM in backwards... they are still notched.

stompah said:
OK... and who just fried there RAm and MB? LOL

I still have yet to put RAM in backwards... they are still notched.

ack...point taken :burn:

all i can say is that it was late, i was tired and already mad

KnowlesTech said:
One question.
Did this "Friend" use an ESD strap????????

I've never really found the need to do that. I just make sure to have one arm always resting on the chassis before/while I'm putting in new parts or fiddling around.

_Will_ said:

I've never really found the need to do that. I just make sure to have one arm always resting on the chassis before/while I'm putting in new parts or fiddling around.

yea i agree, i've never shorted anything out infact most hardware i buy even says simply "make sure to touch a peice of metal (suc as the computer case) to prevent static damage"

If i had carpet i might be a little different but, wood floors arnt known to mix up the electrons ;)

timmyqwest said:

He RMA'd the motherboard and the RAM and it is on it's way (he will have to wait about 1 1/2 weeks) but he just wants to make sure "he" didnt hurt anything else...PCI/AGP devices....CPU...

:mad: :rolleyes: :(

a very shamefull

~Tim~

I am assuming the RAM and Motherboard were working prior to this incident so I don't understand why it was sent back ? You break it you keep it in my books !

KnowlesTech said:
One question.
Did this "Friend" use an ESD strap????????
the only people that ever ask this question are the ones that just started computer classes ;) the only time i have ever seen this used was in school. well acutally not even then. only when the teach demonstrated it but we still never used it.

Re: Re: What did my "friend" break guys....

jabtek said:

I am assuming the RAM and Motherboard were working prior to this incident so I don't understand why it was sent back ? You break it you keep it in my books !

I agree, however i told them the story and they still didnt mind exchanging it.

And in all reality, if the onboard lan was working on the motherboard it wouldnt have been a problem (i did everything i could, abit tech. couldnt even figure it out)

Back