• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hmmmm??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RBX

Registered
I was just wondering if many people actually overclocked and water cooled pIV's? Im waiting to get a new system and obviously wanna get the best I can afford.

Im also keen on goin for WCing. What are you thoughts on OCing and WCing a PIV ty (-ing arf arf)

b0

Although I don't have a P4, the obvious benefits are there for either brand of CPU... Performance and silence.

Newer P4's don't seem to like overvolting, though. There have been statistically more deaths seemingly due to extreme overclocking on the P4's than AMD's. Other than that, as long as you don't go crazy with your settings you should be fine.

I do, look at my sig for details.

Whether the watercooling is a decisive factor I don't know- never tested it on air. :)

my P4 3.06 OC'd the same on air as on water

based on this experience i would:

a) get a prommy if you want real decent OC

b) only get watercool if you want low noise/piece of mind or just want to geek around like complete tosser like me

Maybe with the P4 3ghz some peoples WC means the difference between 1 or 2 fsb ? But for me it hardly meant anything.

But silence ... that what you want ...... no fans and silent HD's.... mcuh more satisying in eth long run than a few 100mhz here or there

I will add that WC is a great mini-hobby ... very addictive and can be a lot of fun.

Im a 33 year old with family & kids and a pretty serious career but i still manage to find time and have fun doing teh whole WC thing.

jackal2513 said:
I will add that WC is a great mini-hobby ... very addictive and can be a lot of fun.

Im a 33 year old with family & kids and a pretty serious career but i still manage to find time and have fun doing teh whole WC thing.

Hehe and in the case of the 3.06Ghz stock fan, also known as The Howler, the noise reduction by using watercooling is more than worth it!

ding ....

i simply could not believe the stock 3ghz fan when i first switched it on

how anayone puts up with tha i'll never know

put it this way.. im currently sitting in an animation studio with around 80 computers in this one room and teh overall noise is less than that one 3ghz fan.

If youve ever seen a harrier jump jet take off vertically then you get the picture

If you're thinking of watercooling a pentium4, i'd recommend the blocks made by silverprop (an australian company here). They are of extremely high quality and produce great temps. I used to have one in a 2.4ghz rig of mine, o/ced it to nearly 2.8ghz, and my temp was 29C at full load (folding), room temp was 21C.

The website might not have the product on it, but it can be bought from here . Please note that the prices are in Australian dollars (thinks its like 63 us cents = $1 AU)

Back