• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Locking out" computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In alot of the bios there is an option to set a password. But since all bios are diffrent can't really tell you were but if you just browse around you should find it and if not. then Im not sure

Yep.... it called a System / User Password. The setup for it is in your BIOS. Use your motherboard manual to help set it.

The system will ask for a password after the post intialization. Cant go any farther untill the password has been correctly entered.

The BIOS lock / password only stops them from changing the BIOS functions and not the computer. What you need is a key lock power switch or a password lock out (built in on NT) I think 98 has a multi user setup but its been so long I don't know for sure

Stedeman said:
The BIOS lock / password only stops them from changing the BIOS functions and not the computer. What you need is a key lock power switch or a password lock out (built in on NT) I think 98 has a multi user setup but its been so long I don't know for sure

You DO NOT NEED a key lock in most circumstances.

Most motherboards have TWO types of password protection in the BIOS.

One is for the BIOS settings itself. This will NOT allow changing of those.

The other is for the System. This is the one that, when set, will NOT allow the system to start untill the password is entered.

Again... look at your Mobo manual.

Ya, I knew about locking up the bios but my friend wants to keep her son out of her Windows and off of her AOL..
As far as I remember in 98 you can set a password for specific users to keep their settings but anyone else can get on, just not on that setup by choosing "cancel" at the log-in screen.
Right?

Do you know of any programs that will do the trick?

Thanks for the link..
BTW, her son is 18.. So he knows a little on computers. She doesn't have very much experience with computers so I hate to have her in the bios.. Which is the way I would lock it up..

Last edited:
18?

OH BOY.... Well... Um... I was thinking a LOT younger than that.

Maybe he should have he's own computer, then?

<very interesting, How DO you keep a teenager out of a computer now adays> :eek:

Back