• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bad boot sector?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nitewulf

I'm sure somehow this is all my fault...

I had a bunch of mp3's that my friend wanted. I brought my HD over, plugged it in and copied over the songs. While I had his case open (his g/f was asking all sorts of questions) she wanted to know what RAM was, so I pulled out a stick and showed her, put it back in, closed the case.... and booted up.

Nothing, just a blank screen. No beeps, just blackness. The monitor led flashed like it was in hybernation. I was stumped, a friend of mine said he heard that if RAM isn't seated properly, that sometimes the minotor wouldn't work. I reseated the ram and the monitor worked just fine. BUT, now his computer wouldn't boot up. Tried reinstalling windows xp. After it was finished copying files to the hardrive, you know how it needs to reboot? well, when it booted back up it was back at the beginning of the instalation process. I didn't know what to do.... Put my HD in (with his as the slave), formated it, and installed windows. worked fine. His HD is accessable through windows you can copy files there. Put his HD back in... did the same stuff. My only thought was that the boot sector of his drive is bad.... I let him keep my HD to use untill he got another one just big enough to install windows on. He ordered a little 1.7gig off ebay. Came today... I tried installing windows on that drive. And it gave me the same problem - just kept going back to the beginning of the installation process.

Any ideas?

Back