Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

measure monthly data transfer for internet?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-30-03, 02:44 AM Thread Starter   #1
-N-

measure monthly data transfer for internet?

I was just kinda curiuos.. it might be easy but I don't know how to do it. How would I calculate the total amount of data my cable modem recieves? Is there some type of program? I just wanna know so I can see how many freakin gigs pass through my modem every month.

thanks.

Epox 8RDA+ rev.1.1
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Seagate Barracuda 7200, 120gb
Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8, 40gb
Pioneer slot-load DVD
Plextor PX-708A
-------------

Fortron 530W
-N- is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-30-03, 07:56 AM   #2
Mark620

10 Year Badge

Yes it can be done but, all your traffic would have to pass thru one computer so you could measure it. I used to do this before I got a cable/dsl router. It depends on your setup. If you use a router you will have to measure on each machine. If you use one machine as a router/gateway you would only have to check one machine. I used a program from "Analog-x".

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation...One is by sword...The other is by debt."John Adams, 1826
Mark620 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-30-03, 10:46 AM   #3
macky
Macaddict

I believe Mark is talking about this
macky is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-30-03, 09:24 PM   #4
su root
--
I teach people how to read your email.

10 Year Badge

best program I've seen for it is DU Meter. Great program.. stats on current uploading/downloading, stopwatch (allows you to run a stopwatch & see how much data is sent / recieved in that time), daily/weekly/monthly totals, and projections. If your on dialup (or pppoe), it'll track how long your dialled up over those periods aswell.

Old 04-30-03, 11:00 PM Thread Starter   #5
-N-

thanks guys. Those are both very nice programs... I'm gonna spend some more time with em to see which one works best.

Epox 8RDA+ rev.1.1
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Seagate Barracuda 7200, 120gb
Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8, 40gb
Pioneer slot-load DVD
Plextor PX-708A
-------------

Fortron 530W
-N- is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-03, 06:54 PM   #6
mrpops2ko
Registered

well I dont mean 2 sound funny but if you wont restart ur comp int that time then just go to control panel and then Network connections and then choose ur default modem then right click go to properties and then down at the bottom there shud be sumthin like show icon of notification and then just enable that and then down at the bottom will be a window for ur modem click on that and then you have got sumthin 2 tell u if not just get sumthin like Bandwith Monitor and then select it 2 start when ur comp starts
mrpops2ko is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-11-03, 02:48 AM   #7
Carnil

If I've translated this guy's post correctly, he's saying that there's a way of getting Windows to do the tracking. However, it will only work so long as you don't get disconnected or reboot your computer, and there's no way of resetting the stats at the beginning of the month.
Carnil is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-11-03, 01:08 PM   #8
su root
--
I teach people how to read your email.

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by Carnil
If I've translated this guy's post correctly, he's saying that there's a way of getting Windows to do the tracking. However, it will only work so long as you don't get disconnected or reboot your computer, and there's no way of resetting the stats at the beginning of the month.
In 2k and XP, it keeps track of the amount of data sent across a connection, in the connection status (Start/Settings/Network & Dialup Connections/Your Connection). The settings are only for the current open connection, so if you disconnect, or reboot, the statistics reset to zero. Best to get DU Meter or NSL.

Old 05-11-03, 04:12 PM   #9
Annoyingrob

10 Year Badge

I use Netstat Live by AnalogX. When I started using it, I was surprised that I was downloading about 8gb of data per month.
Annoyingrob is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-11-03, 04:32 PM   #10
Scruff McDuff

I was a long-time user of AnalogX before I stumbled upon DU Meter. NetStatLive hasn't been updated in ages - it definitely lacks the finer statistics that DU Meter can give you.

It's always nice to compare your download/upload from month to month, week to week, day to day, etc...
Scruff McDuff is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.