• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CMOS battery -- where to buy one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shunx

My motherboard doesn't post, I think it might be the CMOS battery that's causing the problem since I recall seeing a low-battery BIOS message right before. So, where can I probably get a new CMOS battery from? I've never seen computer stores selling them.

They are almost always a Cr2032 battery. Most electronics shops will sell them for about $1. If you buy one online you will prolly spend $5 in shipping as most places have a minimum order amount.

If your computer doesn't post, I would seriously doubt that it is the CMOS battery. That battery simply retains CMOS data after the power is shut down. If that battery is dead, the CMOS data would simply reset evert time you shut down. The computer should still post with defaults set. It's worth a try though, those batteries are pretty cheap. Good luck!

In the old days, CMOS batteries would cause all kinds of problems.
Of course, that was before the days of auto detect everything....lol

But to be honest, seems like I upgrade my motherboards long before the CMOS battery fails....lol

all of my boards post without a cmos battery, 3 socket a's and two slot 1s... and none of them lose cmos data when i shut down, only when there is a power outagge or i unplug it from the wall. but good luck with your problem.

Back