• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can see said the blind man, but only with one eye

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gnerma

I am having trouble getting my dual to see both CPUs.

K7D, 2x 1600+ XP unlocked and smp modded.

One of the SMP mods was done by CMCquistion (a beautiful job), another was done by me. When I first did it, it was a horribly ugly mess. I can't believe it worked at all but it did. The system ran for a few months with both CPUs. Then one day the 2nd chip just disappeared for no aparent reason. Figuring it was the aformentioned ugly as hell SMP mod I pulled CPU 2 out and redid it. I did it right this time, I filled the pits and made a very clean professional looking connection on the last L5 bridge. It looks good (not quite as good as CMC's but still good). I put the chip back in, no luck.

Here is the thing, I get various other indications that cpu 2 is working, except windows doesn't see it.

Exhibit A

The post screen shows 2 cpus. You know, it does the memory test then does the 'Athlon MP 1600+ <big space> ,2 cpu(s)' thing.

Exhibit B

OCK7DdilA.gif

Sandra seems to think there are 2 working CPUs in the system.

Exhibit C

OCK7DdilB.gif

Windows disagrees.

Yeah I have the 'computer' driver set to ACPI multiprocessor PC. I have reset the BIOS (1.5) and reinstalled windows on the system since having this problem. I don't know what to believe. Please enlighten me :)

BIOS Update 1.5 fixes that problem - or it did for me.

Make sure the SMP trick hasnt come undone on the CPUs and that they are seated correctly, and the HSF is on properly.

theotherphil said:
OK, in task manager, click:

View > CPU History > One Graph per CPU

One Graph per CPU was the only option there and it was selected.

I've reinstall windows already unfortunately : /

I am using BIOS 1.5..

Well wcpuid is not seeing the 2nd CPU, I am just going to redo the smp mod a 2nd time. Hopefully it will be okay after this try.

Couple suggestions...

Clean out the pit REAL good. As close to 100% clean as you can get it. Then maybe try painting around the pit instead of going over it.

If all else fails, try BIOS 1.3 or 1.6.

And I know it should be obvious but what do you have the "BIOS ID of MP Capabilities" option set to?

Did you scrape the little contacts, before you bridged them? Sometimes you have to do that to get a real good connection. It seems that there is a thin protective layer over the contacts of some XP's (I've heard that this is limited to greenies, but I don't know for sure.)

Try removing CPU2 and running with just CPU1. See if the system recognizes CPU1 as an XP or MP. If it is recognized as an MP, then the problem is probably with CPU2. Take CPU2, clean it, scrape it, fill the pit, and bridge again (or you can just paint around the pit and you won't have to worry about filling it.)

The pit is not going to be un-filled. It is full of super glue.. Anyway I took the 2nd chip out. Sandra now reports one rather than 2 cpus and wcpuid looks like this:

OCK7DexD.gif

I suppose that means that CPU1 is okay. CPU2 IS a green XP, I hadn't thought about that when I did the original mod or the 2nd attempt. I'll do some scrapage, redo the mod and report back here.

I redid the mod. Sanded it a bit, went around the pit totally. No change :(

SickBoy said:
what do you have the "BIOS ID of MP Capabilities" option set to?

This was actually set to enabled :rolleyes: I disabled it but it didn't help. The most interesting thing about that is if the bios recognizes both CPUs shouldn't windows? The boards manual says "However this option is hidden if only one processor is running."

Gah, even that could mean a few different things. The cpu could be properly modded or not it just needs to be 'running'. Anyway, about these boards dropping one cpu in windows. Haven't there been revisions of 1.5? Could I possibly not have the newest version of the 1.5 bios? when was the 'cpu dropping' fixed?

Which BIOS version are you running? 1.5? I didn't think it had the option for "BIOS ID of MP..."

Does the motherboard report 2 MP's? If it does, but Windows just thinks that there is one, then it is just a Windows configuration issue. Pretty easy to resolve.

Does WCPUID report two MP's?

Dang, Newbie_Doo, I keep trying to catch up with you, for total number of certifications, and you keep getting more. I haven't even completed my MCP, yet, and you've already got your MCSA?

What's the deal?

:p:p:p

cmcquistion said:
Does the motherboard report 2 MP's? If it does, but Windows just thinks that there is one, then it is just a Windows configuration issue. Pretty easy to resolve.

Does WCPUID report two MP's?
As I recall the post screen reports two Athlon MPs. Sandra reports 2 Athlon MPs (like the screenie above). Wcpuid still look like above, reporting one MP. I reinstalled the ACPI miltiprocessor PC 'drivers' and it didn't help.

have you tried switching the sockets for the cpus?

and what about only putting one cpu in the machine at a time and then see whether it is recognized as an MP or XP?

Are you running Win2K or XP?

In 2K, right click My Computer, left click Properties, click on the Advanced tab, click Environmental Variables. Now, look in the bottome box labeled System variables. You will see a Variable called NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS. The value next to it should say 2. If it says 1, then change it to 2 and reboot.

WinXP is probably identical, but I can't check it at the moment. I'm at work and all I have here is Win2K.

In 2K, right click My Computer, left click Properties, click on the Advanced tab, click Environmental Variables. Now, look in the bottome box labeled System variables. You will see a Variable called NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS. The value next to it should say 2. If it says 1, then change it to 2 and reboot.

WinXP is probably identical, but I can't check it at the moment. I'm at work and all I have here is Win2K. [/B]

winXP is the same...i have it and i just checked....number
_of_processors 2

have you checked the cpuid for both processors individually yet in both sockets (separately)? make sure their both seen as MP in both sockets...

cmcquistion said:
Dang, Newbie_Doo, I keep trying to catch up with you, for total number of certifications, and you keep getting more. I haven't even completed my MCP, yet, and you've already got your MCSA?

What's the deal?

:p:p:p

Windows 2000 Pro (70-210) +
Windows 2000 Server (70-215) +
Administering a W2k network (70-218) +
CompTIA A+ and CompTIA Network+
= MCSA Windows 2000

I also have the Windows2000 Security (70-219) completed.

I just need three more for the MCSE... :)

Keep on studying.

I've got my A+ and Net+, I'm working on 70-210 and 70-215, now. Hoping to get my MCP soon, then, hopefully MCSA by Summer and MCSE by Christmas. It looks like it's going to take a while, although the courses I'm working on right now are pretty easy.

Back