• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4c800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big Nuttz

Always one step ahead of jdmcnudgent
I received my board yesterday. I threw it together quickly because I had to go to work 2 hours after it came. I put my 1.8a in the board (that'll do 185fsb on default) and tried for 187 fsb. No post. I had to drop it to 160 fsb then use setfsb through Windows. I'm currently at 190 fsb @ 1.55v. The board has some cool features. I think the current issue with the board can be fixed by a BIOS update.
P4C800.jpg

Nice bro! I was gonna get this board (got the IC7 heh!) but I read in a couple threads somewhere that asus's oc'ing selections were not very good and that there are some new "automatic" bios oc'ing selections that takeaway from the user's choice. Is this true?:)

You can either select automatic overclocking or manual. I can set the vcore up to 1.7v. It also holds memory timings unlike the P4G8X. I'm happy with the board, but if If setfsb didnt work I would RMA it. Like I said I can only post around 160fsb, but with setfsb I'm able to adjust the fsb from within Windows. I'm running a higher overclock in this board than I was in my P4G8X. I just cant wait to pick up a couple of Raptors and run some SATA RAID.

Is "setfsb" an Asus option or a third party proggy? If its 3rd party could you please post a link? I would love to be able to adjust my fsb from Windows!

The P4C800 has a bios problem that will not let us post with a fsb of 166 to 199. Every body with this board has this problem. None of the reviews mention this. Asus is aware of the problem. We don't know yet if it can be fixed by a bios update. The latest bios 1004 does not fix it.

There is another problem with the board, it does not like Radeon 9700 pros (perhaps any Radeon). I flashed to 1004 today and the board would no longer boot due to the incompatibility with the 9700p. On another computer I created a bios recovery diskette using bios 1003, removed the Radeon (so there was no video card), and cleared cmos. I rebooted with the diskette and it flashed the bios back to 1003. I replaced the 9700p and found the board was working. Thanks to Asus bios recovery process.

Big Nuttz said:
You can either select automatic overclocking or manual. I can set the vcore up to 1.7v. It also holds memory timings unlike the P4G8X. I'm happy with the board, but if If setfsb didnt work I would RMA it. Like I said I can only post around 160fsb, but with setfsb I'm able to adjust the fsb from within Windows. I'm running a higher overclock in this board than I was in my P4G8X. I just cant wait to pick up a couple of Raptors and run some SATA RAID.

Got my rig up and running! The Raid o Raptors scream! Whooooohhooo! 2290 in pcmark HDD score...thats over my piddly 781 score on my single maxtor.

I have hit a wall at 175fsb with 4:5 mem ratio...thats runnin my corsair pc3500 @ 219mhz. I think thats all it has in it and yeah I have the DDR at the max of 2.8v...I might v-mod it cause Hipro told me that it (windbond ch5 modules) will take 3.1 to 3.2v easy.

My only other option is 1:1 ratio on the NB strap of 533. I havent tried 1:1 yet...probly wait until tomorrow cause its way late.

Maybe I'll try the 667 NB strap and see what that gets me..proly suckage.

wridave said:
The P4C800 has a bios problem that will not let us post with a fsb of 166 to 199. Every body with this board has this problem. None of the reviews mention this. Asus is aware of the problem. We don't know yet if it can be fixed by a bios update. The latest bios 1004 does not fix it.

There is another problem with the board, it does not like Radeon 9700 pros (perhaps any Radeon). I flashed to 1004 today and the board would no longer boot due to the incompatibility with the 9700p. On another computer I created a bios recovery diskette using bios 1003, removed the Radeon (so there was no video card), and cleared cmos. I rebooted with the diskette and it flashed the bios back to 1003. I replaced the 9700p and found the board was working. Thanks to Asus bios recovery process.
Dang that was close. I havent had any problems with my Radeon 9500 non Pro.

krag said:

Got my rig up and running! The Raid o Raptors scream! Whooooohhooo! 2290 in pcmark HDD score...thats over my piddly 781 score on my single maxtor.

I have hit a wall at 175fsb with 4:5 mem ratio...thats runnin my corsair pc3500 @ 219mhz. I think thats all it has in it and yeah I have the DDR at the max of 2.8v...I might v-mod it cause Hipro told me that it (windbond ch5 modules) will take 3.1 to 3.2v easy.

My only other option is 1:1 ratio on the NB strap of 533. I havent tried 1:1 yet...probly wait until tomorrow cause its way late.

Maybe I'll try the 667 NB strap and see what that gets me..proly suckage.
Post some screenies of that memory bandwith.:D Man them Raptors have gotta be bad arse. They're SCSI drives with SATA instead.

Big Nuttz said:
Post some screenies of that memory bandwith.:D Man them Raptors have gotta be bad arse. They're SCSI drives with SATA instead.

My mem scores at 175fsb are only like 4068. Nothing like yours. If I can figure out how to up the fsb on this mobo maybe I can get myself some bandwidth action too.:rolleyes:

My chip is a outpost.com sl6s2 and will do 3,740mhz...1200mhz oc. I know its not the chips fault.

Have you tried setfsb with a lower mem strap? That might be the ticket to crushing mem bandwith.:D

There was no need to use setfsb with fsb's over 200. It just boots on its own.

Welp bros:D ...here are the results! All of my other raptor Sandra benchies are in the 71,000 range now. This one in the low 50's was an early bench. Thanks for hosting Big nutts.:)
3[1].jpg

Does this board have any of the same issues as the P4G8X with respect to ignoring ram timings? I just got mine a couple days ago, but I'm waiting on a 3.0C before I put it together.

No it doesnt have any memory timing issues that the P4G8X had. If you set it to 2 2 2 5 at 217 fsb then it is 2 2 2 5 at 217 fsb. That 3.0c will be a dang nice setup. I should have a 2.4c sometime next week to play with.

Here we see "Raptillicus" in his natural environment.

HDD_Raid_0.jpg

Last edited:
Back