• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm lost, What could be the problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KILLorBE

I'm pretty sure it's my MOBO, BUT everything seems to work fine under W2K and XP Pro, so before I RMA my MOBO I want to make sure it is my MOBO.

A little history: Most likely my MOBO killed a SB PCI128 within a month, I used to be able to install my capture card, but now I can't get it to work anymore (Card is fine as it works on my other rig). I also had problems installing a Fortissimo III (7.1), after a restart it said: found new hardware....blah blah blah...and I was back to square one.

Problems:

1) My system hangs for no apparent reason, first I thought it was the digital cable between my DVD drive and S-Card, but now it seems to hang w/o the cable as well.

2) My system hangs when I do a restart, first I thought it was the nVidia drivers as it always happened after I installed them. But today I found out that it's my (or ANY, I've tried a 3Com and a Sitecom) NIC that causes my system to hang.

3) Sometimes I don't have to log on, it just goes straight into windows, but I'm able to browse the web and connect to my other rig.

4) I can't acces my floppy drive under any OS except for DOS (Might have to do with the Floppy drive, as I bought it for $2.50), It asks me if I want to format the floppy? (Will try it on my other rig).

Things I've already tried:
1) Different PCI slots...no go.
2) Reinstalled the OS (3 times since yesterday)...no go.
3) Other NIC (See above)....no go.
4) With and W/O digital cable (See above)....no go.

Could it be my BIOS? (I doubt it, but I'm using the X86-Secret.com BIOS).

BTW: I left my rig F@H last night, and it was still running this morning, it seems that I can't use Explorer for some reason.

Oh, It's the TUSL2-C in my sig, and I'm running Win ME. (DO NOT start bashing ME, as I never had those problems with ME before using the same hardware except for the MOBO and S-Card).

Mmmmmmm, I disconnected the cable and so far it didn't hang...now it looks like my S-Card is causing the problem again.

NOTE: I should get an Abit ST6 RAID by Friday or Saturday, so we'll see if it's my MOBO, but for now I would like some opinions, suggestions and above all solutions:p

TIA

*EDIT* I also had a problem with Microsoft Direct Streaming Clock orso, after most things worked fine I did a restart, then I had a question mark in Hardware manager (Under gaming/sound devices)...It did say Microsoft Direct Streaming Clock once, but when I looked again it couldn't tell me anything about the hardware????, I removed it from the list hoping it would install properly after a restart...nothing, not even a question mark???

Last edited:
I got dizzy reading this. :p

Some of the stability issues (IE crashing) may be related to your mobo, but bad memory could cause all these issues as well... have you tried/swapped with different RAM?

Pinky said:
I got dizzy reading this. :p
LOL, sorry I got dizzy myself too **EDIT** that's why I ask you guys, I rarely have problems which I can't fix, or which I can't figure out myself. (Wanted to edit the post before, but now it seems to hang whenever I hit the Preview or Reply button???).

Pinky said:
Some of the stability issues (IE crashing) may be related to your mobo, but bad memory could cause all these issues as well... have you tried/swapped with different RAM?
I haven't tried different RAM yet (It's the only thing I didn't try), but I don't think that's the problem, as everything works fine under W2K Pro and XP Pro.

I'll hook up my other floppy drive and run Memtest86.
**EDIT2** I burned a CD, as I just noticed they have ISO's as well....much easier than hooking up my other floppy drive (beside the fact that I'm lazy..the floppy drive should work under Windows ME, XP or 2K...shouldn't it?....Mmmm that raises another question, Will my other floppy drive still work under ME, 2K or XP?...guess I'll have to hook up the other floppy drive to find out).

Last edited:
Could it be some bad interaction between your BIOS and WinME? It's odd that it's so OS-dependent.

Good call on running memtest. That should tell you if it's your memory subsystem.

BTW, I'll look and see if that device is on my computer when I get home today. (We have the same chipset and in many ways essentially the same mobo.)

-- Paul

macklin01 said:
Could it be some bad interaction between your BIOS and WinME? It's odd that it's so OS-dependent.
I've been thinking about flashing my BIOS with the 'official' BIOS, but like you said it's odd that it seems to be OS dependent.

macklin01 said:
Good call on running memtest. That should tell you if it's your memory subsystem.
Well I don't like this particular "good call", as it takes a while to finish (I like to run it several times)....all those cycles are lost:( (so far everything seems to be fine).

macklin01 said:
BTW, I'll look and see if that device is on my computer when I get home today. (We have the same chipset and in many ways essentially the same mobo.)

-- Paul
Thanks

BTW: If it turns out to be the BIOS, I sure will sell this MOBO...well I probably would've sold it anyway when I get the ST6, but I CAN NOT have a MOBO that doesn't like OC'ing (I'm sure you'll understand).
Oh and yes I know ME kinda sucks, but I need it for certain programs (I also have 98SE, but I like ME better...ouch did I just say something stupid?).

KILLorBE said:

I've been thinking about flashing my BIOS with the 'official' BIOS, but like you said it's odd that it seems to be OS dependent.

Actually, I think that's a point in favor. Different OS's interact with the BIOS in different ways. I don't think that WinXP even uses the BIOS after you've posted, but don't quote me on that. :)

Well I don't like this particular "good call", as it takes a while to finish (I like to run it several times)....all those cycles are lost:( (so far everything seems to be fine).
Ah, but memory stability is the foundation of a good overclock. ;) At any rate, it would be good to rule out those components. Also, do the issues occur at stock speeds?

I found that I get stability issues after a fresh OS install (but not at stock speeds) until I install the chipset drivers.

BTW: If it turns out to be the BIOS, I sure will sell this MOBO...well I probably would've sold it anyway when I get the ST6,

Where'd you find an ST6 ?!?!

but I CAN NOT have a MOBO that doesn't like OC'ing (I'm sure you'll understand).
I feel yo' pain. :)

Oh and yes I know ME kinda sucks, but I need it for certain programs (I also have 98SE, but I like ME better...ouch
no comment. ;)

[/B]

Well, we'll get it all figured out. :) -- Paul

macklin01 said:

Ah, but memory stability is the foundation of a good overclock. ;) At any rate, it would be good to rule out those components. Also, do the issues occur at stock speeds?
Uhhh, I consider 133FSB to be stock speed (I've had 3 CPU's and I had those problems with all 3 of them). I believe I also tried running it @ 'Stocker' speeds (100MHz FSB)...well I must have tried that, I can't believe that I didn't try that. (I'm sure that I've tried installing ME at stock speeds).

On a side note, I had this RAM (Kingston ValueRam) running @ 148MHz w/o any problems, it 'almost' does 133 2-2-2 (It's rated @ 133 3-3-3).

macklin01 said:
I found that I get stability issues after a fresh OS install (but not at stock speeds) until I install the chipset drivers.
I've tried it with and without the chipset drivers, same problem.

macklin01 said:
Where'd you find an ST6 ?!?! ?
Well I was looking for some memory (PC150 to be precise) and as Mushkin seems to be hard to find over here lately (at least PC150, of which I already have a stick), I decided to look into MDT Memory (So far it seems to be awesome stuff..see sig or do a search..most of it is in German), but then I found that prices on MCI.de almost doubled, so I searched a bit more (found some other interesting stuff too, like a 1.1A Tualatin which I can't seem to find anymore, and a MSI GF4 Retail for the same price as an OEM over here...well shipping is €5 more orso) and I ended up at ebay.de (German Ebay site), the guy that sold them had 4 ST6 RAID MOBO's and a few (at least 2) ST6 (Non RAID) MOBO's, I said to myself I'll have a look later this week (was waiting to get some cash), next day there was only 1 left (It was a 'buy now' sale), well it's obvious that I bought the last one (after that I found out he had 4 of them (the RAID boards), and he sold them all within 48 hours), I payed €55 + Shipping (€15), the Non RAID MOBO's were €50.
Sorry for the long story, if you want one let me know, I might be able to help you out.

macklin01 said:
I feel yo' pain. :)
Well the MOBO OC's fine, but w/o the X86-Secret.com BIOS some setting change automaticaly, that's something I can't have/stand.
But yes it hurts:(

macklin01 said:
no comment. ;)
I didn't expect anything else.:p

macklin01 said:
Well, we'll get it all figured out. :) -- Paul
I hope so, because I might not get a new MOBO at all (Asus discontinued the TUSL2-C), but look at the bright side..I'm getting a ST6 and I'll get a full refund for the TUSL2-C (€100+ orso) if it turns out to be bad.

KILLorBE said:

Uhhh, I consider 133FSB to be stock speed (I've had 3 CPU's and I had those problems with all 3 of them).

Do'h! I'm sorry -- I didn't catch your FSB earlier. If it's having troubles at these speeds, then there's something seriously amiss.

On a side note, I had this RAM (Kingston ValueRam) running @ 148MHz w/o any problems, it 'almost' does 133 2-2-2 (It's rated @ 133 3-3-3).
That's pretty impressive for value ram! Glad that you've eliminated that. It sounds like you can pretty much eliminate the CPU, too, since you've tried different ones.

I've tried it with and without the chipset drivers, same problem.
Okay, that helps. Also, have you tried resetting your BIOS to its failsafe defaults?

Well I was looking for some memory (PC150 to be precise) and as Mushkin seems to be hard to find over here lately (at least PC150, of which I already have a stick), I decided to look into MDT Memory (So far it seems to be awesome stuff..see sig or do a search..most of it is in German),

I haven't heard of this MDT -- I'll have to take a look sometime. I use Kingmax PC150 with pretty good results, and it's on the order of <$50 per 256 MB stick at mwave.com. I've gotten it up at 2-2-2-5/7 at 148-149 MHz FSB, and > 156 FSB with 2-3-3-7/9 or so. (I can't remember the timings off hand.) Not sure what you'll be able to find where you are, though.

... I ended up at ebay.de (German Ebay site), the guy that sold them had 4 ST6 RAID MOBO's and a few (at least 2) ST6 (Non RAID) MOBO's,

Ah, the story of the ST6. Thanks!!!! Wow, you really looked out. Some people spent ages looking for those recently. (And I'd love to have one, or better yet, a VH6T.)

... if you want one let me know, I might be able to help you out.
Oh, the temptation!!! :) Maybe. ST6 has the same chipset and all. Does it have a 1/5 PCI divider? My biggest issue is the PCI / IDE bus right now.

Well the MOBO OC's fine, but w/o the X86-Secret.com BIOS some setting change automaticaly, that's something I can't have/stand.
But yes it hurts:(
Do'h! I'm curious about this x86-secret now. (surfing .... :) ) I'm starting to think it's your BIOS.

hope so, because I might not get a new MOBO at all (Asus discontinued the TUSL2-C), but look at the bright side..I'm getting a ST6 and I'll get a full refund for the TUSL2-C (€100+ orso) if it turns out to be bad.

It sounds like you're all set! Your mobo is still in the warranty period? Cool! (Might want to flash back before you RMA it. ;) )

It's been great -- gotta' run, but I think it's your BIOS. Thanks for your post -- this is fun. -- Paul

macklin01 said:

Do'h! I'm sorry -- I didn't catch your FSB earlier. If it's having troubles at these speeds, then there's something seriously amiss.
My bad, I didn't mention it, because I didn't think it had anything to do with that, but I should've mentioned it.

macklin01 said:
have you tried resetting your BIOS to its failsafe defaults?
I just flashed the BIOS (Under Win ME:eek: ), so all settings should be at default....no go, maybe a fresh install will help...but I'm gonna leave out the NIC and/or S-Card.

macklin01 said:
I haven't heard of this MDT -- I'll have to take a look sometime. I use Kingmax PC150 with pretty good results, and it's on the order of <$50 per 256 MB stick at mwave.com. I've gotten it up at 2-2-2-5/7 at 148-149 MHz FSB, and > 156 FSB with 2-3-3-7/9 or so. (I can't remember the timings off hand.) Not sure what you'll be able to find where you are, though.
PC150 or HQ PC133 is pretty hard to get here lately, and when you find some like Infineon CL2 those morons can't tell you if it has 7.5ns chips or 7E chips (I don't want 7.5ns chips), so MDT seemed to be the best option, they had a test back in august 2001 in a german magazine called c't, the worst stick of MDT PC150 did 162 2-2-2 orso, the best stick ran at 170 2-2-2:eek:

macklin01 said:
Ah, the story of the ST6. Thanks!!!! Wow, you really looked out. Some people spent ages looking for those recently. (And I'd love to have one, or better yet, a VH6T.)
I got an email this morning saying: I'm sorry but one of the ST6-R MOBO's is dead, you can get an ST6 for €5 less, or a VH6T for €15 less, or a SA6R (No Tualatin support) for €15 less.
I should get the VH6T soon, I've send him another mail and asked him if he could hold the ST6 for me till end May, and if he did he could keep the €15....I'm waiting for a reply.

macklin01 said:
Oh, the temptation!!! :) Maybe. ST6 has the same chipset and all. Does it have a 1/5 PCI divider? My biggest issue is the PCI / IDE bus right now.
No, it doesn't have a 1/5 divider.

macklin01 said:
It sounds like you're all set! Your mobo is still in the warranty period? Cool! (Might want to flash back before you RMA it.).
Warranty ends in July, so I've still got some time to play with the board.

I ran Memtest86 for 15 hours (All tests) result: 0 errors.

I'm getting really sick of this, I was halfway done (60% orso) with a WU and then I got a Protection error...the system has stopped....lost all my work (It ran fine for about 2 days...uhh Folding only).

Anyway I just payed for the ST6 and VH6T, if that doesn't help (the MOBO's I mean) I'll get back to you.

**EDIT** I never mentioned that I tried different PSU's as well...well I did.

Back