• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are macs worth the cost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
we have a graphics department at work and here is my beef/question

is buying mac's
and all the acompanying software
and all teh acompanying support personel
and all teh acoomping infrastruture

worth the cost of say buying a top of the line pc and putting adobe on it.

is it just that graphics people are used to workign with macks or is it thatt they actually have an advatage over a pc

for the record are new top of the line systems are p4's at 2.4ghz

It's the special sauce!

No, of course it's not worth it... but people still buy Cadillacs and Ferrari's... 'cause they CAN, not because they NEED to. ;)

i do graphics work & i much prefer a PC over a mac. I honestly dont think there is a mac advantage. Benchies will show that PC's are faster. The nice thing about PC's is the upgradeability...

at school the whole graphics lab is mac based, but i bring my laptop (2 ghz p4) and I will alwalys use it over a mac. I dont care for the mac OS, and i think usability on the PC's is much better.(IMHO)

[edit]the first place I interned was PC based, (they did .NET applications), and the 2nd place i interned has a complete win-based network, so it was much easier to use my PC with their setup. Especially if your work already has an existing PC infrastructure, you'll probably have an easier time just adding a few PC-graphics machines than trying to add macs to your network[/edit]

Used to be an advantage, but not any more. The PC is outbenching a mac in every benchmark now, and Adobe isn't quite as pro-apple as it used to be either. The biggest thing PCs had to overcome was the stability, but 2k and XP have made huge strides in that direction.

Adding my list to the throng :)

There was a day when macs were really the only choice for graphics work. That day is long, long gone.

A recent max pc article put it best: "Mac users who claim their macs are faster than pcs are so full of sh-- that they could double as septic tanks"
And the worst part, they cost MORE, and often the software does too.

William said:
Used to be an advantage, but not any more. The PC is outbenching a mac in every benchmark now, and Adobe isn't quite as pro-apple as it used to be either. The biggest thing PCs had to overcome was the stability, but 2k and XP have made huge strides in that direction.

Why were/are macs supposedly stable? They never were when I used them back in the day. Every bit as bad or worse than a Windows 95 machine. I had limited experience of what were probably crap computers even at the time, so I don't know.... I'm just asking.

Some people are convinced they are better/faster than PCs for graphic apps no matter what evidence you give them. In may be fact they are slow and overpriced but it's going to be awhile before the business world buys that.

fiji said:
if your doing graphics,
then yes

if not NO

Hmm, the majority of people seem to think differently here.... why do you say they are worth buying for "graphics"?

Demont said:

Hmm, the majority of people seem to think differently here.... why do you say they are worth buying for "graphics"?

we "think different"? I thought that was for mac owners.

and PC's are faster for graphics.

Only Apple would have a motto with a gramatical mistake in it(this just reminded me of this), "Think Different" should be "Think Differently"

h20link said:

we "think different"? I thought that was for mac owners.

and PC's are faster for graphics.

I was saying we think differently than the poster.... not different than normal sane rational people in general. :D

IMHO, the thing that apple does best is making a small portable device, with a long battery life, in a sleek packadge. Performance wise, there is no argument that a Mac isn't worth it. An ipod/small screen low speed powerbook(whatever) is another argument though...

lol

apple.jpg

btw, william what happened to your greens?

illwillchill said:
funny how the biggest selling point on mac products is "a sleek package"

Yeah..I think I should have used quotations also when I said that. I honestly don't like how they look. But battery life and weight and all are what would sell an apple for me, but I can get the same stuff from a PC I guess...

Back