• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Be very careful of downloading music and games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nope, but I'm not an American so they would first contact their dutch counterpart to get little old me.
And that was if I would be illigaly sharing files :inocent look:
:)

i dont share music, i simply use the vast p2p network to transfer and share small shareware programs among other un-copy written JPG's...

gimmie a break, let us talk about the costs here.

Lets go with an extreamly low value here and say that to prosicute each person would cost $2,000 (again...that is very, extreamly under the actual)

for the first 200,000 thats already $400,000,000...i wonder if they'll still have the cash to take care of that other million they are gonna get next week. And what about the other millions...

BUAAHHHAHAHAH. I'm sorry, stealing from a little old lady who makes a living off of blankets she makes so she can have dinner tonight is stealing.

Trading fair quality songs over the internet from millionares who make most there money by charging me $30 a ticket to watch them from 100 yards away in a poorly lit arena is called survival of the fittest.

$15 for a CD, i got sick of that long before i got broadband...i can buy a (blank) CD for $.50 which would lead me to belive that the people making that CD are making them for $.20 or so....maybe $10,000 for a recording session

about 670 CD's makes up for that, so where does this cost come from?

Sorry guys, if you eventually do find a way to prevent this theft (which yes, i'll admit...it's theft. But robin hood was a theif too, you think he went to hell?) i'll simply setup my XM radio to my computer for some awsome free digital quality music.

Me = On WinMX :D

I wonder if they're flooding the messages to random users (and simply assuming they're sharing), or if they got a list of big sharers that they're going after....

Besides, for me to recieve that message, I'd have to be sharing illegal files :D Would an upstanding Senior Member do THAT??? :) :D

JigPu

Here's a spam mail I just got:

"Sean M." <[email protected]>

To :
(snip)

Subject :
Be very careful of downloading music and games

Date :
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:46:10 -0400

Hello,

Does your computer seem to be running slower than usual? Well, if you've
downloaded any music, movie clips, or games in the past 2 months, then your
computer may be infected with "AdWare" and "SpyWare"!

Advertisers use downloadable music as a vehicle to legally add "SpyWare" and
"AdWare" to consumer PCs. If you're suspicious that Internet Advertisers have
added "AdWare" or "SpyWare" to your computer, then here's your chance to scan
your computer f^ree of charge.

Start scan here!
http://rd.webbersinternet.com/rd.cgi?0430trekblue

"AdWare" and "SpyWare" infections can cause your computer to freeze up, or even
crash your hard drive. Your computer was very expensive, so scan your system
today!

Start scan here!
http://rd.webbersinternet.com/rd.cgi?0430trekblue

Hypothetically, if it turns out to cost something, I wonder if its still false advertising if they have a typo in the word free? :D I found that suspect.

Download some of our f^ree sample software!

^ Note: not actually free or legal or guaranateed not to destroy your computer
Thats not actually a real quote. ;)

Who wants to take bets on whether the app they want me to download to find spyware actually includes spyware?? :p

It's a near-perfect solution. If people don't know about AdAware (or Linux :rolleyes: ), they'll think that they're protecting themselves from adware. The spamware could remove everything but itself (and junk from companies who pay them to be on their do not remove list), and you'd have an adaware-proof system.

Im just wondering, i know in kazaa you can keep from sharing files so no one really knows your there unless you are downloading from them .

Ahem. Let's be sure to remember the rules. This could easily jump over the line. Let's not have that happen.

The correct term for Ad-ware infections are called Paracites. Paracites are like virus's but except of destroying your PC or hard drive, they only kill performance and flood your screen with banner ad pop ups!

I got these stupid things in my computer the other day and almost made me had to reformat. Thanks to ad-aware, my current OS is still alive.

That crap should be illegal... isnt there a law against it??

OC-Master

Last edited:
nihili said:
Ahem. Let's be sure to remember the rules. This could easily jump over the line. Let's not have that happen.

^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said ;-)

Actually, I too am wondering how they decide who gets the PM. If they send it out to whoever is on the network ATM, then they really do not know that anyone is sharing illegal files. If they are sending the message to specific targeted users, then we have the question of how they are deciding who should get the message. There is plenty of music kicking around that has no copyright. Heck, Metallica has tapers areas at some of thier concerts. If they are looking for people who share Metallica tracks, they will certainly be sending that PM to a whole lot of fans that are trading bootlegs.

Then there are the various derivative works that are floating around out there. Stuff like the "Spice Girls/NIN" piece are parodies of the original works. The problem with this type of work is that parody has been found by the courts to be protected as free speech. While the piece violates the spirit and letter of title seventeen, it nevertheless enjoys some measure of constitutional protection. Any combination of filters that could weed out all the legal transfers that are going around would have to be mind bogglingly complex. Kudos to the RIAA if they manage to pull the selection process off but if they are missing and sending the PM out to innocent people, they potentially have a problem on thier hands.

well....in WinMX, it doesn't matter what the name of the file is, it will be lumped together with identical files. If they know that Song X is in the same group as Song Y because they are each exactly 30000000 bytes in size, AND song X is copyrighted, then Song Y is copyrighted.

They CAN monitor traffic over P2P networks and bust people who are sharing copyrighted files. I'm sure that they have a dozen computers dedicated to searching for specific songs, and sending PMs to the users they find those songs on.

Also, i'm sure they add more songs to their search every day....as I said, songs are organized by size. They can simply download a song, and if it is a copyrighted version of that song, they can just place that song (and thus the size of said song) on their hit list and bust anyone sharing THAT song.

And I THINK that I read that they don't care who downloads them, rather they are just trying to bust the people who share them.

oh yea, STEALING IS ILLIGAL.....by the way. Last time I checked, it doesn't matter how much the company is ripping you off, theft is illigal. Just because something is morally right (and remember, not all of us share the same morals) doesn't make it legally right.

yeah i just got the free version of ad-aware a couple months ago.... I was absolutly astonished at all the stuff it found. I don't remember the exact number. but something over 200 i would say. And i thought it was just time for my anual computer upgrade/reformat... well it still is. but after using ad-aware i noticed a considerable performance boost.

Back