• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Locked and unlocked processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
There has been plenty of confusion and questions over the "locking" and "unlocking" processors. I wrote this up in an effort to clarify this for myself and others. Please post if any corrections need to be made.

Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 ghz and below/ Athlon XP Palomino

These processors are factory locked for one multiplier and one multiplier only. Regardless of what motherboard you use, you will only be able to access the one multiplier that came stock, unless you connect and blow bridges.

TBird 1.33 w/133fsb / TBird 1.4ghz/ Athlon XP Thoroughbred 2000+ and lower/ Athlon XP Barton 2500+, 2800+

These processors are factory unlocked for all multipliers.

On Via KT333 and below, and nvidia nForce 420 and below, you can only access multipliers from 5x to 12.5, as they can only read one x8 bit at a time. To access the higher multipliers, you must blow an L3 bridge to force the motherboard to read the higher multipliers. You will be able to use higher multipliers if you do this, but they will appear as lower multpliers in the BIOS. Normally, the lower multis in the bios equate to that multi +8, i.e. if you select 5x in the bios, you get a 13x multiplier.

On nvidia nforce2 and Via KT400 based motherboards, you can use all multipliers between 5x and 20x without altering the processor physically in any way. The two chipsets support these multiplier settings, however not all motherboards using these chipsets do.

TBird 1.33 w/100fsb/ TBred 2100+ and above/ Barton 3000+

These processors are factory unlocked for all multipliers.

On Via KT333 and below, and nvidia nForce 420 and below, you can only access multipliers from 13x to 20x, however they will appear as lower multipliers in the bios. You may connect the L3 bridge to access the lower multipliers. The two chipsets support these multiplier settings, however not all motherboards using these chipsets do.

On nvidia nforce2 and Via KT400 based motherboards, you can use all multipliers between 5x and 20x without altering the processor physically in any way. The two chipsets support these multiplier settings, however not all motherboards using these chipsets do.

Last edited:
Looks correct to me so far. This should be made a sticky for all the people out there that don't know this information, and get misled by other members that don't know what they are talking about.

Good job.

Gautam said:
There has been plenty of confusion and questions over the "locking" and "unlocking" processors. I wrote this up in an effort to clarify this for myself and others. Please post if any corrections need to be made.

Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 ghz and below/ Athlon XP Palomino

These processors are factory locked for one multiplier and one multiplier only. Regardless of what motherboard you use, you will only be able to access the one multiplier that came stock, unless you connect and blow bridges.

Wouldn't say the above was terribly wrong, but at the least it's incomplete or misleading. The reference to "unless you connect and blow bridges" suggests "changing" the default Multiplier via mods to the "L3, L4, L10 Multiplier bridges".

But we all know that just closing (no blowing) all the open L1 bridges connecting the Multiplier signal circuits on the CPU to traces on any mobo with the capability to reset default Multiplier signals allows that mobo/bios to reset the default Multiplier on all the referenced CPUs. And this simple fact is not clearly made in the statement above.

All AMD CPUs have their "Multiplier bridges" set for one and only one default Multiplier, how could it possibly be any other way?? But the "lock" if any, is not this singular state of the Multiplier bridges, it's the "open" state of the L1 bridges...right??? So the terms "locked and unlocked" should only only be used with reference to the open/closed status of the L1 bridges...and no lock/unlock reference, direct or indirect, should be made with respect to the one only one default Multiplier.
John C.

Back