• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

desperate hard decisions. need help!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
guys i have to place my monthly parts order in 2 days and im stuck stuck stuck! i just dont know which way to head on this.

i have $500-$600 to spend. i sold stuff and this includes what i allow myself to spend on parts this month.
i need a cpu badly so thats gotta be ordered.
i want the western digital raptors but im afraid to order them as i think this Silicon image sata raid controller is junk.ive been told the reason its such an issue is using ide drives with this is problem as it allows them to run faster than they can handle info.<~~~not so sure on this but the raptors would fix that.

anyhow heres my 2 lists and please pick one or offer suggestions.
choice1:
2 WD raptors $350
1 xp 1700/2100 $70
possably a highpoint sata raid card pci if needed $85
ut2k3 $36
btw i can sell the 2 ide drives i own and almost have enough to buy the 19" flat crt soon also.
OR

choice2:
highpoint ide raid card pci $45
19" flat crt $160 this will just upgrade my secondary monitor from a 15" i already use a 19" flat crt as my main.
1 xp 1700/2100 $70
Kodak Easy Share CX4200 2.0MP Digital Camera $136
SimpleTech 64MB Secure Digital Card $28
ut2k3 $36

so do i go for more speed in choice #1 ?
or go for luxory in choice #2?

how bout this...

Don't order anything this money, wait till next money, and you'll have doubble the amount of $$$, and you'll be able to get what you want with out really having to think about it.

DDR-PIII said:
how bout this...

Don't order anything this money, wait till next money, and you'll have doubble the amount of $$$, and you'll be able to get what you want with out really having to think about it.
very good advice but you dont know my liver :D
trust me it will be spent partying if i dont buy parts.
what i dont buy this round will be bought next month tho.

See my suggestion about that particular digicam, get the 4230 for the extra dough if you decide on #2.

I wouldn't go sata yet, give it time to mature... they're still in the "we'll release bugs and let you figure them out for us" hardware stage...

well if ya have missed it ive been doing all the guini pig testing for the Silicon image controllers.so im ready a lab rat.
thats why in choice #2 i have the ide raid card so i can keep using raid0

im still looking at that camera tho.its definatly worth the few xtra bux but newegg isnt carring it yet.

deathstar13 said:
im still looking at that camera tho.its definatly worth the few xtra bux but newegg isnt carring it yet.

Tehy're not that much cheaper than Best Buy on that particular brand camera thanks to Kodak's product pricing.

i dunno man. i really want you to get those raptors. ive never seen sata on raid with sata drives. it will be super..... if it works.

it will work but how long before it corrupts is the question.
this is getting harder by the minute.ive looked and cant find any benchmarks of raptors running raid0 anywhere on the net.

all i do know is i better have my mind made up friday morning or ill be kicking myself hard.

Back