• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Funny thing with PRO266TD-LR + Tualatins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zeRo-liMit

I have the MSI PRO266TD-LR with a pair of 1.4ghz tuallies. I just put the system together 1-2weeks ago, and I noticed that my cpu usage was constantly at 30%-35% always, even at total idle. By idle, I mean like "kill every single process that isn't absolutely needed to live" idle. Since it's a dually, it still ran great, and never seemed slow.

Nothing I did to windows or drivers made any difference (reinstalled windows too), until I actually switched the processors around in their sockets. Then the problem was totally gone, and has been since.

I just wanted to share, and see if anyone else had a similar experience. The cpus are the same s-code, though they are many many serial#s apart.

I have the MSI PRO266TD-LR with a pair of 1.4ghz tuallies. I just put the system together 1-2weeks ago, and I noticed that my cpu usage was constantly at 30%-35% always, even at total idle. By idle, I mean like "kill every single process that isn't absolutely needed to live" idle. Since it's a dually, it still ran great, and never seemed slow.

Nothing I did to windows or drivers made any difference (reinstalled windows too), until I actually switched the processors around in their sockets. Then the problem was totally gone, and has been since.

I just wanted to share, and see if anyone else had a similar experience. The cpus are the same s-code, though they are many many serial#s apart.

i have the same system (see sig) and i didn't have that problem (but i never switched the cpu's in different sockets--so maybe i got lucky initially....)

i do have a couple of questions for you though...what heat sinks are you using? did you notice the socket #2 has very limited space for a heat sink? are you gonna overclock?...i know there is no voltage regulation on this board...but i very easily did the vid-pin mod by connecting vid1 and vid2 with 1.2cm speaker wire (thin strand from 16 gauge)...and now the machine is very stable at 154 fsb (1.62 gigs) with 1.63 volts (pretty low)...

what are your temps like for the cpus? i thought mine were pretty high even at default voltage and speeds....maybe the board reads them a little high...

I am using the Intel heatsinks right now, and yeah, it's just tight on all sides. I didn't even think these intel sinks looked that big. Dangerden waterblocks should be here this week though :D. Then it won't matter anymore. :)

I've got it running good at 148fsb. No volt mod yet. My memory is ddr3000 left over from a previous project, so it's nice to run cas2 (well, sort of cas2) without even taxing the memory for once.

I think this board reads temps VERY high. My cpus are 46C and 50C almost all the time. It only goes up 3-4C between load and idle. I've got the case full of 120mm fans, and AS3 applies multiple times - all done well (I did remember to pull the intel TIM off first). I can only conclude that they didn't do something right when they built the board.

The temps I quoted are at the 148fsb.....I really never ran the system at default. I'm curious though, I'll check tonight.

No volt mod yet. My memory is ddr3000 left over from a previous project, so it's nice to run cas2 (well, sort of cas2) without even taxing the memory for once.

I think this board reads temps VERY high. My cpus are 46C and 50C almost all the time. It only goes up 3-4C between load and idle.

i forgot to mention on the volt mod that i connected the vid pins right on the motherboard socket, not on the cpu...i think that is a lot easier...i also took a knife and cut a little groove for the wire to fit in...very easy...

yeah...what's up with the cas settings on this board? i set it at cas 2 and it is---but i think on only 1 of the three cas settings...can't change the others?

yeah, i know at least one of my two boards is off on the temp readings because the same chip in my TISU board reads about 5-10C cooler all the time with the same heat sink and ambient temp...

with the intel heat sink i got temps of 45-55C at default everything...with 25C case temp...i've got to believe that is off...i bet it's more like 35-45C...

Onboard temp sensors are notoriously inaccurate. My MSI Duallie board reads 42-45C for CPU1 and 52C-60C for CPU2. Solid as a rock though, no problems.

I've got my system on water now. Board is reporting temps 40C-42C under full load, and 35C-38C idle, so quite an improvement over the reported 50C with stock parts. :)

I used Dangeden Maze1's, Hydor L20, and a transmission-cooler for a radiator. All 1/2" tubing (silicone with internal spring). The whole system with reservoir holds just under 1/2gal.

Welllll, it's about time for a voltmod, and some more OC!! :D

[
I've got my system on water now. Board is reporting temps 40C-42C under full load, and 35C-38C idle, so quite an improvement over the reported 50C with stock parts. :)

I used Dangeden Maze1's, Hydor L20, and a transmission-cooler for a radiator. All 1/2" tubing (silicone with internal spring). The whole system with reservoir holds just under 1/2gal.

Welllll, it's about time for a voltmod, and some more OC!! :D

cool...i'm really curious what a water cooled setup like that will do...

how much was the water cooled setup and how much power does it draw? or is it plugged into an AC outlet separately?

--The blocks were $30ea.
Maze1 Blocks

--The pump was $35
Hydor L20

--The tranny-cooler came from local parts store for about $35 (heatercore would be cheaper, but this is only 1/2" thick, and fits 2X120mm fans + already has the correct dia. fittings)

--The reservoir came with my previous Senfu kit (so did the hose)

If I was you, I'd suggest a bigger pump than my 185gph, as you're using two blocks. I already had the pump, and figured I'd give it a try before I bought a new one. It does have sufficient flow, but more is always better. :D The pump is plugged into it's own AC outlet on my UPS.

I'll post some pics when I get home - just took them last night.

Back