• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what are gromacs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Stanford has developed 2 different "cores" (or programs) that actually do the number crunching. The older core is called Tinker, and the newer core is caller Gromacs. The Gromacs core takes advantage of the SSE feature of newer CPUs and is able to complete a lot more proteins in the same amount of time. As a result, your computer will produce a lot more PPW (points per week) using the Gromacs core.

To use the Gromacs core, just create a shortcut to the FAH3console.exe file and add -advmethods -forceasm to the target line. It should look something like this.

"C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\FAH3Console.exe" -advmethods -forceasm

there's an option to use the gromacs core when i first setup folding i think. mabye after i finish this wu ill start over. this is cool, finally sumtin that uses sse!

You don't. Most of the time with the -advmethods tag you'll get gromacs when they're available but you don't get to pick. Your computer just transfers work units.

errrr..... i cant type anything into my console. it just keeps folding. how do i get it to stop so i can type stuff and add that -advmethods tag thing?

Are you running the console client as a service? If not, you should, it's safer (when ever your computer is on, the client is running) and it's easier to add the flags.....

If not, you have to close the client then hit Start/run/ and type "C:\\Program Files\Folding\fahconsole.exe" -advmethods -foreasm

C:\\Program Files etc depends on what directory your client in located.

Wedo

ok i did the shortcut thingy.... so now i guess im using advmethods. is there a way i can tell if im currently folding a gromacs wu or a tinker wu?

Back