• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Servers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

Ok can someone tell me how Sun compares to like a dual Xeon server? I see Sun servers on ebay that are like 400mhz and a Dual Xeon. But I know that sun by reputation is the king. Are their chips just different in every way? What do they use them for the most? Do any game hosting servers use sun?

Ok also I am looking at these two Itanium chips on ebay. 700mhz with 4mb cache each. What can those run? I'm wanting to build a home server to use as a file server and take with me to lans for some good hosting.

Itaniums are 64-bit processors, and require a 64-bit operating system. If you want to acquire one legally, it will cost you a pretty penny. I looked into Itaniums before as well. I don't think I found one motherboard anywhere on the net for sale. I seriously doubt that your server would require or benefit from 64-bit performance. Your best bet would be to go with the dual Xeons, but you may not even need that much power.

i ment what applications they run. I have found two 700mhz itaniums with 4mb cache for $400. I was wondering if I put a 64bit operating system on them like linux, can they host games and hold the majority of my windows files? I'd like to take all my harddrives and put them in there except my fast one. SO i could have a 300gb server to hold all my files. I can write to a linux server right? And if it is running a 64bit OS then could it even host games for when I go to lans?

if the server will only be for a few people you dont need a powerful computer, i have a computer running a file, web, gaming server on a celeron running @ 462Mhz running red hat 7.3 and it dose a great job

if you are hosting more than one server I would get a dual but if you are just going to host a simple game server for lans then you wont need even close to that much power. Get a xp1700 along with 1 gb of ram along with a nforce 2 mobo, I think they even have ones with onboard video and you can alway get a raid card if you are going to transfer files a lot.

We have around 16 people at our lans and usually run a couple games on them at a time. What i was wondering though is that my personal comp is a dual system. Sometimes I host a dedicated server on one processor and then I game on the other. Yet even with a 2100+ it will still get choppy. Is that because it is pulling from the same resources?

And how much file sharing can an actual say 500mhz chip take? If I make a server that both my roomate and I along with the guys at the lan can use sometimes we all max out our connections.

whats very important for file sharing is a good disk setup. scsi are used for real servers because they have the ability to serve meny people because of the faster (low) seak times. A good file server would use a hardware scsi raid setup. this would need minamul cpu overheads. ive seen programs load faster over a lan runing from a dual pentium pro with new scsi disks than on local machiens. memory pays a big part too.

Even running IDE, on like a 500 your probably going to max out your NIC first, at 100Mbits/s = 12.5Megabytes/s. I would suggest upgrading to a Gigabyte network, if you transfer that many files, then upgrade your CPU, or go SCSI, if you can afford it.

I am going to be going Gigabit. Since only two of us at home will be using it I will just put in two gigabit NICs and use crossover cables. I am currently looking at gigabit routers. Found a damaged one i might be able to have fixed for cheap.

My friend has an Intel 1.8ghz celeron with 256kb cache, powersupply, motherboard, scsi Ultra 3 (160) controller with a 36GB 10K SCSI drive. And said for $150 I could have that. Does that sound good? Could that chip host a good game of Desert Combat?

The Celeron 1.8Ghz is based on the P-4 core and comes in 128kb cache and not 256kb. 256kb are the Tualatin core Celerons @ 1.0Ghz, 1.1Ghz, 1.2Ghz, 1.3Ghz, and 1.4Ghz.

To answer your questions, you don't need such a powerful processor to run what you are going to run. 64bit CPUs are an overkill for your need seriously dude, don't waste your money. Spend it on a good 1GB NIC, RAID/SCSI cards, and possibly an AthlonMP Setup or Xeon. That's your call however I'd recommand the Xeon on that one.

Well my current comp will probably end up a server when I make a new gaming one. It's dual 2200+. I just saw the itaniums for so cheap and figured why not find out more

When you do have a gaming server however, is it the mhz of it that matters? Would a 1.8ghz celeron be better than an Athlon XP 1800?

Well i'm not going to just be moving files to and from it. I am going to be playing games on it as well so it has to be able to host them. And gigabit is a NIC that does 100/1000mbps instead of 10/100.

Don't forget that you need a gigabit switch if your going gigabit, a normal 10/100 hub or switch won't do gigabit. Gigabit switches are pretty expensive.

yea but I was thinking of just getting a couple NICs and putting one of them into the server and the other one into my comp.

Back