• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cas 2.5/3@200 vs. Cas 2@166?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thrashertm

Registered
Hey guys,

What do you think about this...

Lets say I have a tbred 1700+ and I want to o/c it on air cooling.
What will be faster?

Assuming the same final clockspeed, will I get better performance with a higher FSB of about 200mhz with cas2.5 or 3 memory, or to run the FSB at 166 with cas2 memory?

Thanks

Memory running at 200 MHz CAS3 will win by a big margin than memory running at 166 MHz CAS2, in memory bandwidth, 3Dmark, 3D video, games programs, assuming CPU clock frequency remains almost the same in both cases (by adjusting CPU multiplier).

Last edited:
I estimate the difference would be 200/166 - 0.02 = 1.20 - 0.02 = 1.18.

Programs and benchmarks that are memory bandwidth intensive, such as Sandra memory bandwidth, 3D Mark 2001/2003, ..., would be faster by about 18% when running at 200 MHz compared to 166 MHz. The 0.02 (2%) takes care of the CAS3 performance hit from CAS2.

Pls try it and see to what extent the performance estimate is accurate.

We already proved this in another thread. The faster memory bus speed and relaxed timings will win over the slower memory bus speed and aggressive timings.

so....

batboy said:
We already proved this in another thread. The faster memory bus speed and relaxed timings will win over the slower memory bus speed and aggressive timings.

I'll be best off just buying cheap *** name-brand pc3200 CL3

Well, if you can run the memory bus fast and have agressive RAM timings both, that's a bonus and sometimes worth a few extra bucks for high quality RAM, if you're after the best performance.

I'm all about price/performance balance. I'm not willing to pay the highest price for the best performance.

Back