• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK, got my money together, time to buy...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepino Cantador

Registered
Along with a few other doodads for my PC (like a Danger Den water cooling set), I'm gonna get a nice video card to replace my poor, toasted R9700 PRO.

So, here's the question. Get another 9700PRO / 9800 PRO, or a top of the line GeForce FX?

Now, mainly I'm an ATi fan, I loved my R9700, but I figured I'd go totally top of the line if I'm gonna plunk down the money again, and while the 9800 hundred certainly looks appealing, I wasn't sure if it would necessarily be the best choice, because of the way I play games. I never use AA. AF yes, but I play most everything at 1600x1200, and AA really doesn't make the hugest difference at that rez, especially considering the performance hit to get that minor difference.

Now, I've read and heard that the GFFX 5800 has slightly better performance when AA is OFF. Would it be better to get that card, given how I play, or would the 9700 / 9800 still smack the 5800 around because of the AF being at 8X anyway?

If that is the case and your looking for a card with none of the details turned on, then go ahead and get the FX5800. But when those times come and you want to crank out the details you'll be left in the dust by a 9800Pro, which does almost the same FPS as the FX5800. Get what fits your need the most!

Personally, I would get the bettter one.....9800 :D

Yeh, I've never had any urge to turn on AA. AF yes, but AA just always seemed so....not worth it at 1600x1200. I guess for games I HAVE to play at lower res, AA might come in handy, but even then I never really think about it to use it.

With AF on, the 9800 might be faster though. Hmmmm :D

i would wait for the 256MB version of the 9800Pro but if you can't wait then the 128MB 9800Pro would be my choice. i used to not care about AA or AF performance, then i seen just how good it really is and now i always run both maxed out :D you just can't do that with the current Nvidia cards without a hugh performance hit compared to ATI.

If you go NVidia don't get the 5800 Ultra. Do yourself a favor and just get the plain 5800 so you don't have to worry about the sound issues.

Question for you. If you are only going to run AF why get a top of the line card. Why not save over $200 and get a 9500 pro or the NVidia equivlant, if there is one?

Because with max AF at 1600x1200, most everything I've used below a 9700 doesn't really cut it. Some will do it, but never as seamlessly as it was with the 9700, and that's the way I liked it :p

That and if it will run with AA on, so much the better. I normally leave AA off because the performance hit seemed a little too large for the visual gain, but if the card will do it without breaking a sweat, I'd prolly leave it on :D

lol "top of the line FX" eh? yeah right Nvidia wishes:D i would go with a 9700 cuz its a lil cheaper and i dont think the 9800 has almost a hundered dollar preformance increase:D

Yeah go with CrashOveride...he makes a good point, and the 9700 can be modded. But if you have to buy something better, I would wait for the DDRII 256mb 9800 pro.

Back