• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrade is in hand... overclocking? no :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mhamm

Registered
Currently i have an Epox 8K7A+ mobo, TBird 1.4 chip, and 256mb Corsair XMS 2400 ram.

I'm looking to upgrade now too... my birthday is comin' up soon :eek:

I used to be into overclocking... had a DangerDen watercooling setup with a DD cube, maze 3, and eheim pump...

But now, i'm not too into it. I'm more looking for a reliable setup where i don't really push my computer to its limits much.

But, i want a new chip, motherboard, and ram. I had originally thought about getting a Barton 2800+, Epox 8RGA+, and some Corsair XMS 3500C2 ram. But thinking about it, this setup is def. for pure overclocking. I know i want a FSB of 200, but is the barton core really neccissary for me? Should i save around $50 and buy a 2700+ chip which runs faster stock? This will also need to last for 3 years or so (why im keeping the 3500 ram)... i dislike upgrading due to money concerns (pay for school, car, and everything in the middle)

Any suggestions on other set ups that will last a while for me?

Thanks

Hamm

I'd say get a 2700+ and use the extra $50 to pay for car insurance :D. With a setup like that, and assuming that no radical new processor technologies come out any time soon, that setup should last you 2 to 3 years or so, unless speed becomes a problem in the future. I dont know if everyone will agree with me, but it seems to me that things are tapping off. Some new games that i've noticed dont really establish any new benchmarks, until doom 3 or Half Life 2 that is. Computer applications dont set huge benchmarks either. If you have a speedy hd, speedy cpu, speedy ram, speedy gpu, etc etc, the system will last 3 years. Hell, i had an old video card that i used for 2 years until i upgraded a week ago. It'll last :D

Back