• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitec z 680's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nitewulf

was there a 450watt version of these speakers at first? Then a new 500watt model?

I ask only because I ordered a pair from pagecomputers and they arrived saying 450watt on the box, and the center channel didn't work. I complained and RMA'd them. Just got my replacement back tonight.... and guess what the box says? yup 450watts.

Speaker companies always try to decieve the amount of watts. LIke their watt is 1.2 watts

i dunno its wierd

JeffW said:
Speaker companies always try to decieve the amount of watts. LIke their watt is 1.2 watts

i dunno its wierd

generally speaking what your thinking of (as far as i know) is when companies tell you that their speakers are 200 watts, when they really mean "our speakers peak at 200 watts"

i think logitechs are just rounded off

if i remember right it's

180-sub
60-x4 sat
67-center

...487 watts thats RMS mind you (meaning it's peak power is much higher, i've heard around 1000 watts)

so really, niehter are correct ;)

mmm the box very clearly says 450watts. the peak power is supposed to be 1000watts. Also, in the specifications the wattages add up to 450watts. On pagecomputers website, and others that sell the z680's, the wattage adds up to 500.

well, i sent customer service a slightly unhappy email which they replied and said they forwared to their RMA department.

Well, all i knwo is i've gone through this same thing and in the end they sound amazing anyways...not to mention, when was the last tiem you used them at full power?

nitewulf said:
mmm the box very clearly says 450watts. the peak power is supposed to be 1000watts. Also, in the specifications the wattages add up to 450watts. On pagecomputers website, and others that sell the z680's, the wattage adds up to 500.

well, i sent customer service a slightly unhappy email which they replied and said they forwared to their RMA department.

honestly are you going to tell the difference between 450 and 500?

probably not. but its the principle of the matter. I didn't get what I paid for. But as long as all the channeles work this time, I think im going to keep them. I don't want to go through the hassel of RMAing them again.

Umm the reason your middle speaker may not of been working is cause it has to come from a 5.1 sound source otherwise it wont work, for like playing mp3's and stuff the middle speaker does not work.

schismspeak said:
Umm the reason your middle speaker may not of been working is cause it has to come from a 5.1 sound source otherwise it wont work, for like playing mp3's and stuff the middle speaker does not work.

Depends on the speaker setting, with your speakers you dont have as many goodies.

"we" can turn on DDS music/movies and the main speaker becomes the front three

timmyqwest said:

Depends on the speaker setting, with your speakers you dont have as many goodies.

"we" can turn on DDS music/movies and the main speaker becomes the front three

yeah but do you know if he tryed that? and yes my front center speaker will work with mp3 when i turn on virtual 5.1 in my soundcards mixer. or by pressing the "matrix" button on mine.:p

oh and bout the wattage they have upgraded there models the new z680's have 500watts rms and the "old" have 450watts rms. if the site you ordered from said you would be getting the 500watts then call them up and tell them to get you the new 500watters otherwise ask them for a rebait or get your money back if it is that important. same gos for the z640's the new model is around 70watts rms the "old" round 55watts rms.

hope that explains it, they have to differnt ones now it just depends on when they are manufactured i believe.

I contacted Logitech today and asked about this. I read the guy the watt breakdown in the tech specs on the booklet that came with the speakers. he was like "where the heck are you getting this information from?" He had absolutly no idea why everything I had said 450w. well he went and did a bit of research for me. And here is what he says he found:

He told me that the engineers calculated the RMS output with their own derived equations. Later, they adopted the industry standard for calculating RMS output. Which is why there exists a difference. The speakers haven't changed, just the method of calculating the RMS output.

That sounds plausable I suppose. Either way, I tested the speakers out last night. One of my friends bought a digital projector which we hooked my speakers up. We watched the matrix with the volume maxed out. Absolutly no distortion, and the sound was amazing. I was quite impressed. regardless if these are or arn't the correct speakers, im going to keep them. Don't feel like waiting around to get new ones.

Back