• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How often to Re-Apply ASIII

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I pull off the heatsink every 2 months or so. I clean my fans on a monthly basis too, but every two months, I strip each rig down (except for the file server) and give it a really good cleaning. It's really up to you how often you do it. If after cleaning your fans out temps are still a little high, it's always a good idea to check. An extra 5 mins to take off the heatsink clean and reapply the ASIII isn't going to kill you.

Assuming I do it right the first time?

Only when I notice temps have risen more than I can attribute to the Alabama summer climate change.

It's about that simple for me! At some point you have to ask yourself: is it worth it to mess up my case wiring just to replace my finally perfectly lapped hsf/block. Clean that, Clean the CPU, add in an infante many more chances of a brain fart and messing something up.

It's not worth it for me ;) IMHO It shouldn't be for anyone that can't prove that's why their temp just raised 1C.

I applied it back in early February, so I guess it might be do. For us in BC it is starting to get hot, it almost hit 20C' outside today. I think it was about 65C. (for us it is Tank Top and Shorts with sandles. I noticed my computer is running 5-7C warmer. Because my room has climbed from a norm of 16C up to 24C (55F up to about 75F. I have pulled the CC lights out to remove the extra heat source.

Thanks for the info on the ASII I will probably re-apply it all this evening. I have it on all the heat sinks. (Video Card, Northbridge and CPU)

I don't think there's a point to it really. I'm coming up on a year with the same application, and my temperatures are pretty much the same as they've been all year (+ or - ambient fluxes...sitting at 102F right now, with 86 case temp, nice cool spring night outside)

I did notice things creeping up a little bit, but my apartment is extremely dusty, and the case was very mucked up. So I took 45 minutes and gave it a good once over...cleaned off my fans, wiped it down a bit...blew on the board a few times to get the most prominent dust off and closed her back up...back to about normal!

Once i get a some canned air I'll go in and puff out the heatsink and give the mobo another dusting, but I don't expect much of a difference.

yeah, I never reapply AS. Only when I remove my HS for some funky reason. Maybe I'm neglegent, but I suspect reapplying the stuff often is a sign of just wanting to tinker with your MoBo.
Also, AS3 takes some time to settle in properly, doesn't it? It seems to me that every 2 months is neurotic or obsessive-compulsive to the point of being a danger to yourself and those around you. Hence, being committed to the psyche ward at you local hospital may be more appropriate.

heh, JK. you go, you crazy paste-maniac!

PatrickBateman said:
It seems to me that every 2 months is neurotic or obsessive-compulsive to the point of being a danger to yourself and those around you. Hence, being committed to the psyche ward at you local hospital may be more appropriate.

heh, JK. you go, you crazy paste-maniac!

LOL

Back