• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What line protection do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What line protection what do you use?

• 1) ”UPS” works as a line conditioning device until power failure then it switches to battery

Votes: 56 20.7%
  • 2) ”True UPS” uses its battery to run your system 100% of the time

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • 3) ”Surge protection device (SPD) and or transient voltage suppressor (TVSS)” inline power-conditi

Votes: 76 28.1%
  • 4) power strip w/ a fuse

Votes: 52 19.3%
  • 5) just a power strip

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • ) wall socket

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • 7) doesn't UPS deliver me the parts I order online?

Votes: 14 5.2%

• Total voters

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
line protection what do you use?

I was wondering how many of us use surge protectors or UPS’s in here and if a Mod sees this can we get this into a poll

1) ”UPS” works as a line conditioning device until power failure then it switches to battery
2) ”True UPS” uses its battery to run your system 100% of the time
3) ”Surge protection device (SPD) and or transient voltage suppressor (TVSS)” inline power-conditioner
4) power strip w/ a fuse
5) just a power strip
6) wall socket
7) doesn't UPS deliver me the parts I order online?

Last edited:
Just a 5 for me im afraid. Never really had any reason to get any thing else! I know I should invest in some sort of conditioning though?

2 and 7 here :D. I have three 1's for random things such as my alarm clock router & network hub on one and a desk lamp on its own i have one more just sitting on my desk not being used... Oh I almost forgot lots and lots of 5's they seem to be all over my house for some reason :D hehe

I can't fill out the Poll because EVERY computer has a surge suppressor on it then a UPS such as APC600. Some also have a power strip in the mix too...

Three true UPS's here: a 700, a 1050, and a 1250, all AVR. On the other hand, the AC adapter for my laptop is plugged straight into the wall.

laptops have an auto switch built in much like the UPS
I forgot I have a UPS on a mine (1) but I also have a inline supresser on my laptop plug

I'd like a UPS. I found one at (of all places) Home Depot for only $20US. I was tempted to buy it, but didn't.. I only use power strip with fuse/breaker.

three of the computers in my house are on UPS's, my server isn't on one yet but since it's not running right now (processor died, replacement has already been found though) it's not a priority. i'm considering a True UPS for my main rig but cash is a little tight these days.

True UPS for anything with important data or that I can't afford to replace. Surge protectors on anything noncritical.

My house was struck by lighning thank god i had a surge protector. My tv's corners are red and blue...

JeffW.. Same thing happened to my friend's family a couple years back. The wireing (sp) in the whole house was destroyed. It took $5000 to rewire everything.

I have my rig and my GF's rig on UPS's but the rest are just plugged right into the wall... always watching for a good deal on UPS's, most of the power outages we have here are less than 30 sec so it doesn't take much to keep them going. knock on wood...we only had one power outtage that drained my UPS since I bought it over a year ago.

APC Back-UPS 300
I got a Standby UPS. :( Cost me $60 CDN for a 15 min 1 400w box, no monitor backup. (Or 1 monitor 2 boxes, 1 alarm clock and a light for about 5-6 minutes) Shoulda spent the extra for a true UPS though : /

My residence has a neat quirk.. if the power goes off, the fire alarm goes off about 10 seconds or so later to clear the building (some weird fire regulations.. can't be in the residence (slash hotel: /) with no power. So it allows me to save my work, and shut everything down properly :) Also comes in handy for battery backup for my alarm clock. When I'm not in rez with it, it also allows me to run lamps and stuff.

#1 for me I have a APC 1000 but I killed the battery on mine.Three power outages and my system toasted the battery.My system draws to much power then my apc can handel so I had to switch over to a $5 powers strip untill I can buy a higher end model.

Surge protector one one, and a power strip on everything else. Never needed anything more than the strip, but my mom decided to go all out and get a good surge protector for my AMD system.

Thanks mom! :)
JigPu

Back