• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blowing bridges and SMP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyclone6

Registered
I'm thinking about trying to put 2 T-bred 1700+s into my K7D master motherboard. I've got 2 chips that both will do 2.3 ghz. Unfortunately, with a maximum FSB speed of 150 mhz, a 12.5x multi only gives 1875 mhz.

So I guess I am going to have to blow a few bridges to get a higher multi. Sorry for the stupid question here, but when you are using the power supply method, which two contacts on the power supply plug will give the 5vs. There are two black wires in the middle with a red wire and a yellow wire on either side. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

My current setup is two XP2100+s running at 1820 mhz. (They are Palomino chips and didn't OC well at all.)

Thanks, and wish me luck. I want a dually running at 2.3 ghz:cool:

So I guess I am going to have to blow a few bridges to get a higher multi.
Out of curiousity, is there a guide with pictures/examples on how to do this? It sounds like a pretty hairy mod to perform especially after reading theOtherPhil's thread. You wouldn't want to approach this half arsed.

That lil how to there looks pretty nice, havent read it completely yet, but looks like it covers it.
It is not hard to do in the slightest. There are a few details you need to be capable of to get it done easily.
1. Nice magnifiing glass if you cant see the small areas on the CPU.
2. A steady hand, so you can control the points to the exact points you need them to go to.
3. The bajeezuz to actually do this mod!~! LoL
Other then those 3 deals, its an easy job.

Silver said:
Heard tell a simple 9v battery would blow the bridges on the cpu.

yeah, that's what the article linked to from the sticky says.

A lot of people, including me, have had a hard problem getting a 9V to work, but have used 5V from a PSU, instead. It works great!

It is applicable. There are better links in the SMP sticky at the top of the forum, though. (The MP, XP, Thunderbird and Duron SMP answer.)

From the sticky:

Jon said:
For information on modding the multiplier of AMD CPU's, check the thread here. I prefer the 5V PSU method, over the 9V battery method. It has worked better for me.

That thread has lots of links, lots of user experience.

Back