• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shroud shape ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackal2513

my papst fan is the same dimensions as my rad so if i make a shroud it won't taper at all from teh rad to teh fan ? Is this is problem ? Is it still worth me making a shroud with equal sides ... kind of like a box shape extension between them ?

Also, is it okay to have a gap at teh mount between teh fan and shroud ... i want to fix rubber stoppers on eth fan screws for isloation so dont actually want teh face of teh fan touching teh shroud ?

cheers

Rich

Rich,

A shroud is a good idea because the fan needs as little disruprions to its flow as possible to perform optimally. If it is attached directly to the radiator it won't be as efficient as if it is working in a 'fee air' environment. 2-3 inches or so should be enough. I always use rubber grommets to attach fans. just bridge the gap with something flexible to lessen vibration transfer. I use metal duct tape.

O

Doh! You asked about shape too! Square is perfectly fine. Tapered shrouds are usually used because the fan is a different size than the radiator. I have essentially a square shroud on my fans and it works fine.

O

Owenator said:
Rich,

A shroud is a good idea because the fan needs as little disruprions to its flow as possible to perform optimally. If it is attached directly to the radiator it won't be as efficient as if it is working in a 'fee air' environment. 2-3 inches or so should be enough. I always use rubber grommets to attach fans. just bridge the gap with something flexible to lessen vibration transfer. I use metal duct tape.

O

okay thanks

could i just offset the fan from the rad with very long bolts then use some strong masking or gaffer tape to act as teh shroud ..... would that do the job ? The tape would be airtight so i would expect it to perform the same function as a plastic/cardboard one ?

cheers

R

That's what I do

Rich,

That's what I do, sort of. I use zip ties through my radiator and then rubber grommets on the ties as spacers. I tape the whole thing up with metal duct tape. It would probably work better if I had more of a space between them, but this works good enough for me.

Here the fans are zip tied on:
fans zipped.jpg

Here is the final product with metal tape:
fans taped.jpg

Hope this helps!

O

Last edited:
Back