• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rate this PC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cereal Killa

How would you rate this PC?

-Thermaltake Xaser II A6000B Plus
-Artic silver III thermal paste
-ASUS A7N8X Deluxe/GOLD
ATXnForce2 sktA DualChannelDDR

-AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton Boxed
-Thermaltake Volcano 11

-ATX 400W (PIV + AMD)

-DDR Twinmoss 512MB PC-3200
-Thermaltake Active memory cooling kit

-Sapphire ATI 9700 AGP Tv-out,DVI
128mb DDR Retail

-Maxtor 80Gb 8mb 7200rpm UDMA133

-Lite on DVD 16/48 Retail + soft
-Liteon 48x24x48 IDE Retail + soft
-Floppy Drive 1.44 Black

TOTAL 1456 € / 1624 $

Would it be a good build? If I made some mistakes anywhere, plz point them out to me :)

PS: I live in belgium and I'm buying this from a store so not every new thing is available :(
e.g.: Xaser III

PS 2: There's still a 1.5 month difference between now and purchase so it prolly will be cheaper a guess.:cool:

EDIT: Would it be better to use 2*DDR Twinmoss 256MB PC-3200 to take advantage of the DualChannel DDR?

Last edited:
If you feel daring you could get a Thermalright SLK-900 on it instead of the Thermaltake...If you dont feel like bending some capacitors out of the way to make the SLK-900 with a sweet 92m/m Panflo sitting ontop of it you could opt for the SLK-800U...The memory really does not get that hot so the active cooling you are intrested in is not really necessary...Looks cool...Vantec makes a "activce" kit also...Need more information on your choice of the power supply...Make, model??? Looks like a bad boy to me...:D...might consider one of these for the northbridge on your motherboard http://www.directron.com/ccba4p.html should be out by the time you are ready to build...If not one of these are cheaper and work quite well http://www.directron.com/ccba1c.html :cool:...This also may be a better choice than ASIII http://www.svc.com/chidethcobya.html ;)

Last edited:
Rate it? How about TOP OF THE LINE.. :). I agree with Hookem though. The SLK-900 is the better choice. Go Antec on your PSU.

Ok, thx. Other question. Is a fan on the Northbridge required?
That PSU, is it antec or vantec? Cuz I find some Vantec but didn't see Antec yet.

that is a serious rig you got there...

that would basically be the rig i would build if i had the cash right now... cept i would watercool

:drool:

That power supply needs to go though... I've used Enermax and Enlight PSU's, they're good.

It seems people have different opinions about the power suply:rolleyes:

Edit: found something about antec so nevermind the comment from a few posts back:cool:

Would this be a good choice?
Enermax EG465AX-VE 460W dual Fan Active PFC

EDIT: Or this one?
Antec TRUE430 430 Watt ATX12V

Last edited:
i got the enermax you mentioned its a great PSU never had a problem running my gamingrig with it,check my sig

Maybe you could save a lil cash and get a 2500+ barton and OC it faster than the 3000+..... just a thought, everything else looks good to me though.

Yeah, I COULD save a little cash but then again it's not my money :D
If I pass my final exam, I get an amount of money to spent at whatever PC thing I want and as we all here at home know, I'm gonna pass :beer: :beer: :beer: :clap:

@ Crash, my name sound familiar to you? LOL, Altough in the movie it's Killer not Killa.:p

Since the power supply is where it all starts, I cannot stress how important they are...Sparkle/Fortron for the money are hard to beat...Since the northbridge has passive cooling on that paticular motherboard, they tend to get hot when you start overclocking...That is why I suggested the copper Vantec IceBerq...If you do not plan on overclocking you can stick with the stock passive northbridge cooler...Voids the warranty to replace the northbridge cooler...You might also want to pony up the extra duckies for rounded cables...You can buy cheap ones from SVC...Coolermaster are very nice, Vantec makes decent ones, although the copper braided ones have a peculiar smell...The 350 Watt Sparkle from XPdirect with the single 120m/m fan is a nice psu...If you dont think that is enough watt's for you the 400 watt or 460 watt models from Directron are real brutes...Do not buy a Vantec power supply...pure junk...loud, run hot...The Western Digital ATA/100 JB's (special edition 8mb cache) are the hard drive of choice right now...not ATA/133 but seem to perform better than any of the ATA/133's out there...you can check out hard drive performance at www.storagereview.com/ The Antec TruePower's are very nice, quiet running power supply's...The 430's can be had at reasonbable prices...I prefer the Fortron/Sparkles even though I have 430 TruePowers in both of my AMD box's...:D

Back