• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win98 install gone screwy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BmanG17

OK, well decided to reformat and to re-install win98. I place in win95 boot disk (from putergeek.com they say it works for win95 and up, and they didnt have a 98 boot disk so used the 95 one) And it loads CD driver, i go to my CD drive, then run setup on win98 CD. All good, then it says something like "perform routine system check" , and then about 2 seconds later my screen is filled with
"
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
" A whoel screen of them and i cant type. I left it gonig for like 10 mniutes to see if it was actually donig something but CD drive wasnt maknig any sounds of reading/ spinning CD so i restarted and tried again,. got same crap. WHY or what does the 6,000 "\" marks mean? I used this win98 Cd before, worked ggreat on the comp i'm on, is it the boot disk, or something bad with HDD that it doesnt like?! .

Any help appreciated

LOL psot above me makes alotta sense. win98 gets uber raped by xp pro that i have 1000 times over. Will never touch 98 again unless i reformat (xp pro is upgrade so need 98 first) Anyways figured problem. Booted from CD instead of the boot-disk. It worked, installing XP pro now ...aahh no mroe errors

you know you can install XP straight up.. you just need to put in yoru 98 CD to verify that you own it:D hehe you dont EVER need to deal iwth it again besides putting in the CD for a sec... hell youcould burn it onto a CD and not label it so you dont even have to look at "Windows 98" ... i hate 98

Back