• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DLT3C...all T-BRED "B"s????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

INGlewood78

Registered
I have an opportunity to get a DLT3C for a really cheap price new. But I dont know what the stepping code is. Are all DLT3C version "B"s and also do they all overclock pretty well? Thanks for the help

As for the Bs, yes, there is quite a variation. Mine can only do about 2.25ghz, others have gotten 2.5-2.6 easily.

excaliburpc only seems to have DUT3Cs, am I just looking in the wrong place, or am I right? :p

... :S I'll check again! :D

--Edit:

Ah, found the 1700 dlt3c, does the dlt3c exist in 2100 form?

Voltush said:
If were on that subject, AXP 1700+ JIUHB DLT3C 0310 XPMW, is a T-BRED A or B ?

Yes, that is a Tbred "B" 1.5v stock 1700+, and, just for your information, that is one of 2 of the best average overclockers you're going to find in the DLT3C JIUHB line.

Almost nobody, with the right ram, heatsink, powersupply, and motherboard, is getting anything less than 2.3ghz out of that particular chip... same with the 0310 WPMW batch. About 30% are able to get 2.4ghz from the chip, and another 5% are able to get 2.5ghz on air cooling (rough estimates from what I've seen here).

I'd be psyched if I were you and just happened to grab one of those accidentally!!!!

Have a blast overclocking if you've actually got that chip in hand, it's gonna be a good one!

Methusela

All the 1700 DLT3C JIUHB come from the same wafer as the higher XPs. Since they have to meet the greater 1700 demand, they just package the XP 2400 capable chips as 1700s. Then we get them for chicken scratch :D The 0310 XPMW OR WPMW seem to be one of the better date codes.

My 1700 DLT3C JIUHB 0310 XPMW is hitting 200/2100 @ stock 1.5v settings. This is on better than average air cooling, not high-end air.

With this CPU and the Abit NF7-S mobo, overclocking is as simple as a reboot and change anything you want. If it won't boot, just back off the settings after the hard reset. Just make small incrimental changes on one setting at a time.

Last edited:
The 0310's and the 0307's seem to be doing the best.

To answer the original questions, there are t'berd A, DLT3C's all that that code means is that the stock vcore is at 1.5 instead of 1.6 or something.

Before you buy a chip you should always check the stepping/date code. With the 1700's you will want to be looking for a JIUHB0307, or JIUHB0310XPMW. Hope I helped a little.

Ive heard better things about the 'X'MPW's than the 'W'MPW's.
Definitly get the JIUHB's with 0307 or 0310.

...And of COURSE DLT3C's!:)

Here is a fairly lengthy tutorial I wrote for someone else asking about Tbred "B" chips and which to get for overclocking. I am copy/pasting it here because I believe it to be mostly correct and highly informative (if you can comprehend it ;)).

BEGIN:

gazzrawly said:
im going comp fair 2morrow what should i get im confused now :( and i heard about downgraded XP's have a code or something which tells u if they r high quality, what XP they were doengraded from etc...how do i find this out plz :D...gazz

Ok, first off, don't believe any of that downgraded from higher frequency bull****. Yes, it's true, often entire batches of chips are manufactured for a higher rating, then tested, and found to be sub-standard, and marked as a lower speed grade, HOWEVER, nothing on the chip's identification sticker is going to tell you that with any accuracy, ever, period. EDIT: Also, to meet lower speed demand, AMD is assumed to downgrade chips from higher quality manufacturing batches. While this is not necessarily 100% confirmed, it almost certainly happens, and is a possible partial explanation for particular batches that overclock EXTREMELY well, such as the XPMW and WPMW batches.

Here's what you NEED to look for, specifically. Look at the sticker on the lower portion of the top of the cpu's substrate packaging. It will look something like the seemingly jumbled mixture of white numbers and letters on the black sticker at the bottom of this cpu:

nna1.jpg
(copyright, Akiba, thanks, this is just used as an example on short notice)

If you're looking for a cpu to overclock, the first string of letters/numbers shows you the rated speed of that specific cpu, in the case above, it's a 2400+, noted by the AXDA2400DKV3C (that's what it looks like to me, cuz the image is a bit dithered). That bolded number will be in the same place, and refers to the stock speed rating of the cpu. 1700 for 1700+, 2100 for 2100+, etc. The DKV3C refers to the voltage of that particular stepping. DLT3C is what you want to find, using the known good overclocking 1700+'s as an example. That indicates the 1700+ is of the stock 1.5volt variety (this is important, as the DLT3C's are known to be far better overclockers, on average, than any other voltage spec out there in the 1700+ model).

Now, specifically, the third noted string of digits/letters is what you're going to look for in an overclocking cpu. Let's use a 1700+ as an example again. Dissecting the 3rd string, we see it as this: AIUHB 0315 TPIW.

The AIUHB shows us it is a Thoroughbred "B" (tbred "B")cpu, always far better overclockers than the old "A" stepping, or the older Palomino chips (the first upgrade from the original Athlon Thunderbird chips). In the case of the 1700+, you want to look for a JUIHB stepping notation. Don't ask why, as I just explained it, you just DO =)

The 0315 refers to the year (03, that's 2003) and the week (15) of the year 2003 that this particular cpu was manufactured. Generally speaking, all JUIHB DLT3C 1700+'s will overclock fairly well, however, the 0310 (10th week of 2003) 1700+'s are the best, although any from 0302 on up will be fairly solid, as LONG as they are JUIHB (tbred "b" stepping) DLT3C (1.5 volt standard) 1700+'s. Some with the voltage code of DUT3C, indicating 1.6volt standard core voltage, are good overclockers, but generally not as good as the DLT3C's.

More specifically, the last 4 spots (manufacturing BATCH code) in the third string of digits/letters, are what you want to look for (in terms of the 1700+). For example, from the picture above, the TPIW is what I'm talking about. In regards to the 1700+ chips, you want this code to be EITHER a WPMW or XPMW. These are far and away proven to be the best AVERAGE overclockers of any batch codes on the 1700+ line.

So, if any of this makes sense, what you're looking for at the computer fair is, if it's a 1700+ you want to get specifically for overclocking ( I recommend these 1700+'s as they are the best % overclockers out there right now, bar NONE!! :)), you want to look for these codes, in order of importance:

1700 (amd performance rating, meaning at stock this cpu runs at 1.47 ghz)
JUIHB (tbred "B")
DLT3C (1.5volt stock)
0310 (week 10 of 2003, although anything from 0302 on up with the above modifiers will be DECENT, 0310 is the best for 1700+ amd tbred "B" chips)
WPMW or XPMW (the manufacturing batch code. while most 1700+ chips with the above modifiers but different batch codes will be DECENT, these two batch codes are proven to be the best AVERAGE overclockers out of all batches).

Ideally, you want a 1700+ JUIHB DLT3C 0310 WPMW or XPMW for overclocking. Write the above list down in the order and bring that piece of paper along with you, or, hell just print out my reply and carry it along with you to the computer fair!

However, if you find something else that ranges out from this on the lower importance modifiers, you'll most likely still have a GOOD chip, but not necessarily a GREAT one.

Lastly, always remember that even if you get the perfect stepping code, you're still not guaranteed a "Golden" chip. All models/steppings/weeks/batches will have chips that run like dogs, but if you adhere to my ranking of the importance of the codes, or as close as you can to it in level of importance, you'll most likely get a pretty good chip.

If you do happen to get such a great chip with that exact code, try to maximize the potential of it by pairing it with a great motherboard, great ram, a great power supply, and great heatsink/fan/thermal grease. My recommendations, as of now, are the Abit NF7-S rev2.0 motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X pc3500 ram (or corsair xms pc3500), Antec or Enermax 430watt power supply, and an SLK-900 heatsink with a Thermaltake Smartfan II using Arctic Silver 3 as the thermal grease.

One last thing, watch out at computer fairs for rebadged and/or remarked cpus! You can almost always tell these because they won't have the black sticker with white lettering like the cpu pictured above, or if they do, they'll have the golden bridges around the cpu's core burned or connected with something OTHER than golden colored metal.

Ok, if you have any other questions, just ask! I used the 1700+ as an example, specifically because I don't know that much about 2100+'s (although I know you should get a 2100+ AIUHB 0248-0252 DUTC3 for best overclocking [if i remembered correctly]). Pretty much most tbred "B" chips will be DECENT overclockers... just some are better than others =)

Good luck, and if I've said anything inherently incorrect, please correct me!

Happy easter egg hunting,

Methusela

Back