• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat situation with dual AMD MP's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Azbok

Registered
Hey

Little story first:
I just got a nifty little amd dualie, amd 2000 MPs. The catch is that its a small 1U chassis which seems like its for a dual p3. It doesn't have special ducts and whatnot and it only has 1 fan output. Note: I'm shipping it out to the place I got it to get a way better chassis.

I had it hosted in a colo and it was dying. I took it to a separate room to test it out and we couldn't turn it on for a while. When we finally got the comp on, the bios cpu temp was like 85c. I leave it on to go to a tech room, get a screw driver...by the time I get back the temp is 125c (I have a warentee from the company I bought it from so I left it on). Very very quickly I unscrewed the case and watched the temp go alll the way down to 60c. Then I played around with it for about an hr, the excessive heat didn't seem to kill it.

Questions:
Are the other amd MP processors cooloer or hotter than the 2000's?
Anyone else have crazy heat experiences with dualies?

Thanks

The MPs shouldn't be putting out anymore heat than the standard XP proc. I would suspect the problem here is that it's in a 1U chassis. How low did the temp go without the top on? if it didn't go below 60 then i'd say get some different HSFs and/or try and reseat it. If all else fails try to make a duct of sorts because that thing is BAKING!!!!

The heat equivalence to the XP's is good to know. I read that the XP 2400 and 2600's are way cooler than the previous ones.

The chassis is definatly a problem with so few fans and so little space. Its really a tiny itty bitty case with no room for fans. The temp didn't go below 60c. New HSF is a possibility.

Hopefully the companies better chassis will in fact be better.

Do you know for sure if the 2400/2600MP are cooler just like the XP's?

>to make a duct of sorts because that thing is BAKING!!!!

No room for a duct and no real fans to blow it.
The comp reminded me of an easy bake oven. I could cook eggs on that chassis easily lol.

azbok

Azbok, that's the thing with dual amd's in 1U rackmount - you have to get chassis which are designer for dual amd's, otherwise you're going to have a nice burning smell in your room after a while. When i was planning the machine I'm running at the momment, i was thinking about putting it in a 1u chassis, but decided not to, because of the hassle with cooling it

Maybe you could just cut holes in the chassis over the CPU's. This would allow fresh air for the heatsinks. You don't necessarily hve to have a fan in the duct, just some method of delivering cool air.

Maybe this: cut three to four holes in the chassis. Two directly above each CPU, a third, somewhere else on the chassis. The two above the CPU's, are just left open. The third/fourth, gets an 80mm fan attached to it blowing air out of the case (you could mount the fan externally, if necessary.) Hopefully, this would cause air to be drawn in the other two holes, cooling the heatsinks, then exhausted.

Know what I mean?

i would say the same as cmc said but would it avoid the warranty???
I think you better call the company to report the issue. They should give you more info whether or not modding the case.

I really doubt running AMD duallie in 1U case is a good idea

cmcquistion said:
Maybe you could just cut holes in the chassis over the CPU's. This would allow fresh air for the heatsinks. You don't necessarily hve to have a fan in the duct, just some method of delivering cool air.

The problem with this is that if he is going to put it in a rackmount cabinet, then there will be very little room for the air to go, as the chassis are just stacked on top of each other pretty much.

>Azbok, that's the thing with dual amd's in 1U rackmount - you have to
> get chassis which are designer for dual amd's,

Yip, I've read stories about this sorta thing....and now I know...
The prob was I needed to get a cheap 1u fast. So much for fast, now its being shipped to Ohio for a chassis replacement.

The chassis that will be used is this
http://www.rackmountnet.com/rmc/rmc1h/rmc1h.htm
Cooling: 1 x 120mm blower + 1 x 97mm blower + 2 x 40mm fans

That sounds more like it, instead of like 2 "makeshift" blowers just sitting in the case and 1 40mm fan. The blowers in the rmc1h look pretty strong and there's a spot just for them. They aren't sitting on the mb on top of the ide connectors and random capasitors (sp?).

-------

>Maybe you could just cut holes in the chassis over the CPU's.

That would totally work if it was at my house, but as MameXP says, it would void the warentee and its in a colo center. Wheatbix is right, the chassis just sit exactly on one another, so it wouldn't be an advantage with holes.

So the moral of the story is to obviously make sure you have a case for dual amd's when yer running dual amds. (and when getting off of ebay, make sure you get a pic of the inside of the case. There was a pic of just the outside with the case on).

--------

The next 1u dualie i'm gonna get are the 2600's in the hopes it runs cooler.

Anyone know offhand any sites that have benchmarks for a speed comparison with amd 2600 mp and dual xeons of various ghz?

Thanks

Back