• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Supply for XP 1600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Storm07

Sup all, quick question
I old 300w power supply shorted out from age, for my secondary machine I run. I have a old 230w power supply that I was going to try to use. Comp is not running any significant hardware. Will there be issues, if I use this, or does it have to be 300+?

230 watts is a little to less for my comfort...just give it a go see what happens...if it don't work or crashes a lot get a bigger psu

You should be ok with that.

One of my mates had an older p4 running of a 200w psu (it came like that from the dealer), and he had no problems with that, but I think amd's chew through a little more power

Kewl Thanks
Gonna install it tonight after I get home from work. Didnt want to have to buy another power supply for a machine that is going to be rarely used Lol. Thanks guy

I doubt you will have success. You might as well light it on fire now and cut out the middle man.:p

P.S. Welcome to the Forums!!!!!

Do lower wattage power supplies spell trouble for more power hungry systems because of wattage or amperage? Some of the lower watt PSUs, like those from Apple, are rated for a lot of amps on the rails, even though wattage is low . . . Some of the newer 500+W PSUs are rated for fewer amps than my 3 or 4 year old OEM Apple PSU from a 350 G4.

Or am I a dingus?

Z

Back