• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how long do ya think?...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

I have my system finaly put together and finalized, no more upgrades caus i gota save for collage. It is a P4 2.5 @ 2.9 on MCX4000 with dual Nidec 80mm fans on Abit IT7-MAX2 with a stick of corsair DDR CAS2 PC3200 and i got a 60GB seagate and 80GB WD SE hard drives as well as dvd and cd burner drive in here. sound card is audigy and a radeon 9700pro. now knowing that i will be off to collage with this rig. how long do you guys think i can go before i will have to build another newer faster more powerful one? yes igame, listen to music, have a huge music database, and am gonna be doing a double major in comp and electrical engineering. I am hoping i can push it till the summer of 2005 at least.

I would think that a near 3GHz computer would last two years, even with computer majors being a factor. Since you're in a computer major and NEED this computer, I would make absolutely sure that overclock is 100% stable, and keep my voltages down.

the first year--------top of the line
the second year-----still a good system
the third year-------below average
the fourth year------piece of crap
the fifth year--------trash, garbag, etc.

:)

oops said:
the first year--------top of the line
the second year-----still a good system
the third year-------below average
the fourth year------piece of crap
the fifth year--------trash, garbag, etc.

:)

the sixth year------maybe it will have value someday
the seventh year------I don't wanna take it to the dump
the eighth year-----my videocard sux0rz more than yours
the ninth year-------relic
the tenth year-------I can't remember the last time I played doom 3

Intrepid6546 said:
I have my system finaly put together and finalized, no more upgrades caus i gota save for collage. It is a P4 2.5 @ 2.9 on MCX4000 with dual Nidec 80mm fans on Abit IT7-MAX2 with a stick of corsair DDR CAS2 PC3200 and i got a 60GB seagate and 80GB WD SE hard drives as well as dvd and cd burner drive in here. sound card is audigy and a radeon 9700pro. now knowing that i will be off to collage with this rig. how long do you guys think i can go before i will have to build another newer faster more powerful one? yes igame, listen to music, have a huge music database, and am gonna be doing a double major in comp and electrical engineering. I am hoping i can push it till the summer of 2005 at least.
if you have the oc itch, you will fail with the 2005 thing, but if you dont, you will be good.;)

I do major upgrades every year nowadays. I get the shakes too bad if I don't. My rig is in a constant state of evolution.

pip said:

the sixth year------maybe it will have value someday
the seventh year------I don't wanna take it to the dump
the eighth year-----my videocard sux0rz more than yours
the ninth year-------relic
the tenth year-------I can't remember the last time I played doom 3

the eleventh year --------hey, the LEDS still work i'll just use those

erm LEDs? what are those... damn there awefully big :D

Well I don't nessesairily have the O/C itch, it is O/Cd to 2.9 stable, I can bring it down to 2.8 if i need too. the voltages are always under 1.7cpu.l only thing is i don't want to upgrade this thing period partly for the PITA factor and partly casue i'm saving about 5 grand for my next rig i plan to build in the summer of 2005, unles i dont have enough saved up than i'll need to really push this bag of bolyts possibly into the 'relic' stage of it's existance.

hey, relic makes great games, i was addicted to homeworld for a while!

5 Grand!!! Are you planning on buying top of the line everything? (motherboard, cpu, memory, sound card, speakers, mouse, keyboard, hard drive, etc.)

yyou are correct on everything but CPU should be changed to CPUs. I plan on building a dulie with SCSI drives and a professional grade vid card. dunno if it will be a Xeon dulie or Athlon64. but thats a debate i wont get into until hte time arives.

Back