• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap Sony floppy drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maybe it's just my floppy drive but I got a sony at Excaliber and it sounds like a small buzz saw whenever it runs. I'm going to contact Excaliber and see if I can RMA it. I'd like to get a Samsung as I hear they're real quiet. Like I said it might just be a faulty drive that I got and not typical of sony.

Hmm, that's a good question. Thanks for posting that information!

Honestly, I've never had a Sony floppy (teac here, and I'm pretty happy with it.) I just figured they're probably alright, although that's not a good practice.

Anybody else -- do Sony floppies suck? Thanks! -- Paul

*edit*
Hmm, I just found this at Newegg, now that I searched:

http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?item=21-103-109

(And it's $7 there.) This really isn't such a good deal after all. Sorry!!! :( -- Paul
*/edit*

No, Sonys don't suck.

I'm a floppy fan so I put them in every box I build. I'm also a quiet fan so I've experimented with a lot of floppy drives to find the quietest. Ranked in order from quietest to loudest they are: Sony, NEC, TEAC, Panasonic, Mitsumi.

All the Sonys I've used recently have been very quiet so if you've got a noisey one you should RMA it.

What's a floppy drive ? And what's it used for? My computer doesn't have on should I get one?

(I can no longer see any use for them personally. Sure my old super socket 7 has one. New P4 system,no. New AMD system,no. Next system I build I don't think so. Really, what are you guys using them for?)

@Ralf:
Thanks for the info. (And I couldn't agree more on using floppies and wanting quiet computers! :)) Sounds like a faulty floppy.

@ Mr. DLucey:
Floppy drive: standard 3.25", 1.44 MB disk drive that just about every computer has.

I think we're approaching the point where we can stop using the floppy altogether, but there are some applications that don't have replacements in sight. 4 that I can think of off hand:

1) BIOS flash disk. Can be replaced with a bootable CD-ROM, but with considerable effort, and what a waste of a 640MB CD! I suppose you could use a bootable ZIP drive for it, too.

2) WD / (insert drive maker here) disk format tools. Generally can't be replaced with a CD-ROM; most programs ask you to insert a floppy, which it will format and transfer the tools image to.

3) linux startup disk after fresh installation. Pretty much necessary if you don't want to install LILO / GRUB to your MBR. You then use dd with the floppy, etc. to extract the LILO info and set up your dual boot with the NT bootloader. Since I don't know of any setup program for any linux distro that lets you write your startup disk to a CDROM, floppy can't be replaced here, either.

3a) Any utility that lets you make a configuration floppy that writes it directly to the floppy, such as setting up a setup disk for linux installs.

4) Many diagonstics programs, such as memtest86, run off of a floppy drive. Some antiviral recovery programs fall into this category, too.

-- Paul

the only reason i have my floppy drive is if i need to flash my board. as for the quality for certain products, there is no real difference between a sony or any other brand name, as long as it works get the cheapest you can. my floppy drive is a 15 yr old Matsui (panasonic) and its still kicking

Back