• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my computer is seriously jacked...dear god someone please have the answer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

black jesus

I had to format. Tried a system restore, and that didn't worked, so I did an emergency back up. :D CPU would go NOT under load, but the system would freeze for a moment, while displaying the hour glass, and I was out of options other than formatting.

I get the comp to format, and it begins to install xp pro. I for some reason have to "un-slave" the second drive to format c:. The comp does not load windows on the reboot, unless I "re-slave" the 2nd drive. However, the comp can't locate either hdd, until I specify them automatically in the bios. The cdrw is in the bios correctly. I reboot and it won't boot off the cd. The bios however does save the hdd settings. Then, the cycle continues.

I did once get it to load set-up , but it starts throwing errors, and I must terminate installation.

I don't know what could be wrong.

Asus P4s533 bios 1006
P4 1.8
WD hdd's (C: is very old)

?:mad: ?:mad: ?:mad:

try installing with only one drive installed and make sure the jumper is not on the hd (don't put it on the master jumpers). wd drives don't like jumpers, especially when they are the only device on an ide channel.then put the cd-rom on the other ide channel as master with whatever settings it requires. this is one of the first things my old teacher told me and it has saved me from replacing hd's i thought might be dead on at least 4 occasions.

simple fix. remove the jumper and wd drives seen alot more freindly

twump said:
try installing with only one drive installed and make sure the jumper is not on the hd (don't put it on the master jumpers). wd drives don't like jumpers, especially when they are the only device on an ide channel.then put the cd-rom on the other ide channel as master with whatever settings it requires. this is one of the first things my old teacher told me and it has saved me from replacing hd's i thought might be dead on at least 4 occasions.

Does this also work on the new WD with 8 meg cache because I am having a simalar problem but with mine except bois will find my drive but when I put the XP cd in to boot off it will say that setup couldnot find a harddrive in my system

[EDIT] It fixed it for me thankyou twump

Last edited:
twump said:

It didn't work for me, but I managed to luck aout and now I'm back up on this machine. I wonder if I could have a mobo issue, or just a 6 year old hdd crapping out.

stan488 said:

Does this also work on the new WD with 8 meg cache because I am having a simalar problem but with mine except bois will find my drive but when I put the XP cd in to boot off it will say that setup couldnot find a harddrive in my system

[EDIT] It fixed it for me thankyou twump

so run no jumpers at all on the hdd when installing?

Actually it depends where on the chain the harddrive is. If the WD is on the slave connecter use the CS setting. When I first hooked up my WD se I couldn't get it to work on the slave connecter with the jumper set to slave. I moved the jumper to Cable Select and it worked fine. Did you run the drive diagnostic software on the C: drive? I will link to the thread with the link again: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127203

that link doesn't work on either of my hdd's, even the 6 month old caviar drive.

I think I have a buddy thats getting me a 40GB 7200rpm 8MBcache drive at best buy on the discount though. I think I would see a big performance increase over the old 5400 with the 2mb cache..

black jesus said:
that link doesn't work on either of my hdd's, even the 6 month old caviar drive.

I think I have a buddy thats getting me a 40GB 7200rpm 8MBcache drive at best buy on the discount though. I think I would see a big performance increase over the old 5400 with the 2mb cache..

Here is a direct link to the download. http://support.wdc.com/download/dlg/dlgdiag10.zip

DOwnload it then create a floppy with it. then boot from the floppy on the system. I still think it could be a jumper problem. Set the drive on the end of the chain to master. Set the drive on the slave position of the Cable to CS (cable select)

Don't know if this will help but if you do manage to get your system to boot from the CDrom drive go ahead and act as though you are installing XP Pro. When it gets to a certain point it'll tell you that XP has been detected on the system and at that point you'll have the option to do a Fresh Install or Repair. Choose Repair. You may have to reload some drivers but this solution worked for me and friends that had similar problems. Good Luck.

Back