• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my "Tabor3" Intel board support Coppermine processors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreyArea69

I'm trying to find out what processor my board will support, tech support at Gateway (my machine is a Performance 500) tell me that my Intel 440BX board is an "Tabor3" and it will only support a 600Mhz Katmai Pentium 3. I can't find any info about my board on the intel site or any other so I'm not sure if this is what I have. The BIOS revision is 4W4SB0X0.15A.0019.P14 and the sticker on the board say's AA 744110-203. I would be very grateful if someone could tell me if the "Tabor3" exists and if I have one. The other question is will the board support a Coppermine processor, what speed Coppermine and if any other modifications will be necessary.

Thanks for your help.

heres the problem if its ment for the katmai then what ever CPU you want to put in there will have to have the same default CV [core voltage to CPU] and some of the Katmai's had a rather high CV and if just plop any old P3 in there you may fry it with to much CV, and there is no software that may help for those settings, Shadow knows of someone that knows a BIOS trick by putting a new chip in and then flashing but it may be risky i'm not sure Shadow is the Moderator and he's easy to find :) Oh i'm not sure if [with the BIOS trick] you will still end up with CV options when finished., you will have to research your MB a little more or hope someone else knows of this MB here.

Welcome to the forum! The answer to your question is "maybe", but it may be better for you in the long run to replace the motherboard with something newer that also has upgrade potential (not to mention overclocking ability). Assuming that your board is an ATX form factor board, just about any aftermarket board that supports the P3 Coppermines will work for you and your existing peripherals should work as well. If you absolutely have to keep your existing board, then Shadow is the right guy to ask about BIOS modifications.

Anthony

Thanks to outhouse & Newbie_Doo, before I attempt frying a new Coppermine chip I ought to find out more about the board. Gateway appear to have imported the board in from Neptune or somewhere in the Upper Leaf Spiral, I can't find any reference to it anywhere. If somebody knows of any sites relating to "Tabor3" or obscure boards, posting the links would be great.

As to upgrading the motherboard, I'll do that when my money tree starts blooming. I know it's the smart thing to do, but costs and teething problems would not be a good thing whilst I'm doing my dissertation on the damn machine.

Cheers.

Back