• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Summer Upgrade Plans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff Bolton

I'd like to know what everyone's summer upgrade plans are.

Now that school is out for me, i'll be working more and my disposable income will increase. This computer is nearing a year old and since i'm not building a totally new box this year, i'm gonna upgrade most of the major components over the course of the summer. What i have now is in my sig, but i'll list the component with what its going to be replaced with, just for comparison.

P4 2.26ghz--->P4 2.8ghz
1x maxtor 80gb 7,200rpm--->2x WD SE 80gb 7,200rpm (so i can finally do raid), will keep old hdd for storage and linux
Leadtek Ti4400--->Sapphire 9700pro
Aopen 16x DVD (has served me two WONDERFUL years, is starting to get flaky)--->Lite-on 16x DVD
and finally, only if memory prices stay low:
512mb Corsair XMS3000c2--->512 Corsair XMS3500c2

How does that all sound to you guys? If prices stay the same (if anything, they should drop by the time i buy all of it, except memory), i'm looking at about roughly $900 :eek: i just realized how much that is :D. i'll wait to upgrade the cpu last i guess, and only the memory if prices stay low. the other stuff is pretty essential imo.

anyways, rather than keep the hardware or sell it in the classifieds, i'm going to help out my best friend. he's stuck on a 500mhz emachines pos (no money to upgrade), and it can't really do much of anything useful these days. i figure i'll sell him my old chip, video card, and memory for the amazingly insanely low price of $200 just to get him headed in the direction of a new computer. he's planning on building one this year sometime, and he already has a hdd and burner. so if all he has to get is a case and motherboard, he's looking at an awesome computer (he won't be gaming) for a really good price.

well anyways..what are your plans?

jeff

2.4b -> 2.6c
Abit BD7II -> Abit IS7
512mb Kingston -> 2x256 or 2x512 undecided top of the line ram
9500pro -> 9700pro (ordered yesterday :))
Air cool -> Water cool

Hmm . . . All I'm really looking for is a mobo and some RAM. I'm interested in the 8RGA line, and I've been looking at the A7N8X-DX, but I want to see what VIA's offering is like (KT400a) before I do anything.

I'm also going to get 2 sticks of PC2700 Samsung 512MB. And maybe a new burner.

i just realized i'm gonna be changing out everything except my motherboard :rolleyes:

also, i really want to replace my 2 year old 17' kds flat screen monitor. i don't necessarily want any more than 17' because it won't fit on my desk, but the refresh rate capabilities on this one is crappy, and its getting to be an old piece. like the aopen dvd that i bought at the same time, they've both served me well but its time for them to pass on into the realm of hardware heaven.

so what am i not upgrading?

klipsch 4.1's
logitech mx700
431w enermax psu
tdk 48x burner
sb audigy
usr hardware modem
modified case (just took a good pic with my new digital camera)
newglow2.jpg

ok, just had to list what i'm NOT upgrading to make me feel better :D

ahhh, upgrades....fun stuff.

Well, I just replaced the main rig in my sig with an epox 8rda+ and a barton 2500, and a shiny new wd 120 special edition.

my next upgrade will be a 9800 pro 256mb.....my GF3 is on the way out, unless it was a motherboard problem I was experiencing, lol. Eh, she was overclocked too far for too long. It still works, but some games get severe glitches, and CS will glitch out if I do something wrong, so I have to be real careful around it, heh. I'm sure it's an overclocking problem, but I'm hoping that it was a driver issue or a motherboard issue, heh.

Abit ST6 + VH6T Should be here Friday or Saturday.

Early June:
512-768MB MDT PC150 (If I can still find it).
Cely 1.10A
MSI GF4 Ti4200 ViVo

If I still have some money left after paying some tax, electricity bill and what not:
PSU (400W orso).
85W TEC.
HS (SLK orso).
80mm Delta fan.
Case.
2x 40-80Gb HDD's.

I would just go with the video card, RAM and RAID in that order.

The next jump in processing power is 64 bit CPU and thats not happening for about 6 months.

So look for a new MoBo and CPU in 6 months.

watercool rig in sig
possibly snag a 9800 for it as well
maybe add another stick of 256mb corsair xms pc3200

if new job works out....yatta monster, and a dualie
if new job does not work out.....no yatta, just a dualie

but i may end up travelling, and so none of this would happen at all.:)

<--- Is Largely content

I am building a different secondary rig just for graphical work though. Most of the expense is covered because I've sold off almost all of my spare parts.

cerberus said:
no cpu stuff for me... just bought a house... i think next on my list is a washer and dryer :(

I feel your pain.. I bought a house in Jan. and this summer it is getting painted, plus my wedding.. 20 days and counting..

i decided to get 512mb of corsair xms3500 now, since prices are so low. last summer i waited to get the memory and i ended up paying over $100 more than i should have had to, but its not gonna happen to me again this summer muhahah

should be here on wednesday

I was going to build a mini PC of some type, but invested in a good video card instead... I think I'll stick with what I have for now. Can put the money towards other things, and it's not like my system's dogging or anything.

hmmm upgrades.
its gonna be hard as i seem to be running out of things to upgrade.
my 2 raptors will be here this week for raid0
i do want to get a new digital camera,i put that off thanks to pinky showing me the light on what to look for.
a prometia would be a good upgrade.
i need a new cpu

mabey ill buy another agp like a 256 9900 pro or something if there is such a thing this summer just to play with. kinda a waste at this moment for me,but its just a thought.

i have been planning my summer upgrades for a very long time :)

i even made out a little excel spreadsheet for me to help me keep it all organized :)

http://www.mbentley.net/oc/upgrades_networking.xls

for those of you who don't have excel, i'll write it all out anyway...

main rig's current configuration:
mobo - Intel D845GBVL
processor - Intel Pentium 4 2.4b - 533 MHz
hsf - vantec aeroflow vp4-c7040
ram - 1 x 512 MB Kingston DDR266 (PC2100)
case - Chieftec DX01BD
psu - 350 Watt Fortron
floppy - Mitsumi 3 1/2"
cd-rw - Lite-On 48x24x48
hard drives - 80 GB WD Caviar SE 7200 RPM - 8 MB & 80 GB WD Caviar 7200 RPM - 2 MB
os - Windows XP Professional
video card - Leadtek A250 TD (GeForce4 Ti 4400)

main rig changing to:
mobo - Asus P4C800 *new*
hsf - vantec aeroflow vp4-c7040 no change
processor - Intel Pentium 4 2.4b - 533 MHz (looking for a c1 stepping) *new*
ram - 2 x 512 MB Geil CAS 2 6-3-3 1T DDR400 (PC3200) *new*
case - Chieftec DX01BD no change
psu - 350 Watt Fortron no change
floppy - Mitsumi 3 1/2" no change
cd-rw - Lite-On 48x24x48 no change
hard drive - 80 GB WD Caviar SE 7200 RPM - 8 MB & 80 GB WD Caviar 7200 RPM - 2 MB no change
os - Windows XP Professional no change
video card - Leadtek A250 TD (GeForce4 Ti 4400) no change

server current config:
doesn't exist yet :p

server future configuration:
mobo - Intel D845GBVL (from my main rig)
processor - Intel Pentium 4 2.4b - 533 MHz (from my main rig)
hsf - stock intel
ram - 2 x 512 MB Kingston DDR233 (PC2100) (from my main rig, but will need to purchase one more stick)
case - Antec SLK3700AMB *new*
psu - Antec SmartPower 350 Watt *new*
floppy - Mitsumi 3 1/2" *new*
cd-rw - Lite-On 52x24x52 *new*
hard drive - 80 GB WD Caviar SE 7200 RPM - 8 MB *new*
os - Windows 2000 Server
video card - ATI Xpert 2000 Pro - 32 MB 4x AGP (mobo has onboard, but it uses the ram) *new*

link of all the parts from newegg: http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=295082

total cost: $871.48 + $39.00 SH = $910.48

Last edited:
Hey Mbentley:

I have a similar Intel MoBo (D845DBG2), only has sound and LAN built in. Whats the difference with yours?

Why are u switchin' to ASUS?

Im planning to get into some case modding.
Right now, my rig is plenty fast for me, but its not pretty and its impractically big (with the minifridge hooked up)

So... Im trying to see If I can mod a waterchiller into a chieftec dragon case.

Back