• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rare random computer reboots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Azbok

Registered
Hi, I built a computer for a friend and like maybe once a day or once every 2 days the computer just reboots. My friend says usually it happens when he's loadin up a prog or doing stuff, but sometimes it reboots when its idle and not touching anything.

The components are all new stuff, shuttle mb, amd 2400 cpu, kingston 512MB pc2100, pc power and cooling turbo 350w psu, sound blaster audigy mp3+, netgear 10/100 mbit, mitsumi cd reader and mitsumi cd writer.

I heard faulty ram could cause this sorta strange reboot. We tried putting the ram in another slot but same problem. It seems more like the powersupply has a loose wire and loses power for a split second.

Anyone have any ideas at all?

Thanks!

Use a program like mbm 5 to see what the voltages are on the rails...if they are low or far from normal values, it could indicate a power supply problem. Hard to know with problems like these, though.

Also, is the case well ventilated? Is he running anything overclocked? Heat can sometimes cause things like this as well.

Nice, I'll definatly try out mbm 5.
Btw, what are rails?

The case is pretty well ventilated. I have two case fans in there, one on a side panel and one going out. I remember I checked the heat and it was running nicely (I don't remember the temp tho).

I don't remember if I set heat warning level in the bios. I'll be getting the comp in a day or so to play with.

Its not overclocked.

I'll give mbm 5 a whirl when I get the comp.

Thanks for the info!!
azbok

If it's running Windows XP, those random reboots could be caused by BSODs. There's a setting that will cause them to come up as actual bluescreens rather than reboots, but since I don't have WinXP, I don't know what it is.

Back