• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

es northwood

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

j2me_tech

200fsbx8.jpg

can anyone help me in identifying this processor? ppl over here selling it for usd150, izzit worth to buy & give it a try?

he claimed that on the core it's written intel confidential & multiplier is unlocked. any idea?

If it says Intel confidential on the core, then it's an ES CPU and the multiplier is unlocked. Can't tell you what they're worth. Technically they are the property of Intel and can't be sold.

That would be an unlocked chip, but generally they aren't better overclockers from the rest of the retail chips - in fact many times they're worse simply because they're early production samples. Aside from having an unlocked multiplier they're not stellar performers. Also be aware that ES chips are always the property of Intel and are not to be sold, period. If Intel corporate security catches the transaction they'll hunt you down and force you to return the cpu. They don't play around - in fact they were about to call the local sheriffs department to seize one from me.

TC said:
That would be an unlocked chip, but generally they aren't better overclockers from the rest of the retail chips - in fact many times they're worse simply because they're early production samples. Aside from having an unlocked multiplier they're not stellar performers. Also be aware that ES chips are always the property of Intel and are not to be sold, period. If Intel corporate security catches the transaction they'll hunt you down and force you to return the cpu. They don't play around - in fact they were about to call the local sheriffs department to seize one from me.
Dang thats pretty heavy.:D

TC said:

So if you purchase one and it dies within days of installing you are screwed? Because you can't return it for a replacement because you will get arrested?

You won't be arrested, but ES chips are not meant to be sold and/or used for personal systems - they are technically loaned out from Intel for testing. If you don't have a press pack or other qualifying reason to have one then they will want the cpu back. In my case I told them something about the person I bought the chip from and they gave me a replacement after I returned the chip to them. They even paid for Fedex overnight with Saturday delivery.

Not all ES are overclocked you have about a 50/50 chance of receiving an unlocked chip and the ES tend to be very poor overclockers, I should know I have 4

Back