• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Canterwood Memory Thread...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kunal

Registered
OK, I've done a lot of reading on this board and other sites around the net, all being very helpful, in regards to what memory to use in a canterwood board.

Well I've brought myself down to three sticks (which are widely available in the UK)

Corsair XMS3200LL

Twinmoss PC3200 Winbond

Twinmoss PC3700

First question, as I'm hearing different things from different places - the 4.3ns chips on the Twinmoss PC3700 - are they Winbond chips?

Secondly, how far have you guys managed to push these three sticks, using normal BIOS voltage options (2.7-2.9).

I'm hoping to get 250/500 DDR, without having to mod my board to get higher memory voltages - do you guys reckon any of the above can do that?

I was gonna buy some Twinmos 3700 for my current rig and read several threads here in these and other forums where the Twinmos mem wouldn't even do the advertised speed. So I got me some corsair pc3500 instead.

DDR500 will be a quite a stretch. Not many sticks will do that, good luck. I've heard that the Canterwoods don't like Corsair LL series. The Corsair XMS PC3500-C2 is a better choice. The TwinMOS PC3700 uses at least two different types of chips (maybe even three), so you have no guarantee of getting Winbond chips. There is just not a lot of good choices in PC3700 RAM yet. OCZ is hit and miss. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it sucks. Mushkin PC3500 black label is worth looking into also.

batboy said:
DDR500 will be a quite a stretch. Not many sticks will do that, good luck. I've heard that the Canterwoods don't like Corsair LL series. The Corsair XMS PC3500-C2 is a better choice. The TwinMOS PC3700 uses at least two different types of chips (maybe even three), so you have no guarantee of getting Winbond chips. There is just not a lot of good choices in PC3700 RAM yet. OCZ is hit and miss. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it sucks. Mushkin PC3500 black label is worth looking into also.

the twinMOS pc3700 uses one kind of chip - twinMOS. the twinMOS pc3200 uses winbond, or 1 or 2 other chips. i think you were trying to refer to the 3200, not the 3700.

Take a look at these links, bb:

3700: http://www.memoryx.net/pc3700dimm.html

3200: http://www.memoryx.net/pc3200dimm.html

I have the 3700 and its ok. it runs at the rated speed but not any faster and only at the most conservative timings - 2.5, 3, 3, 7

Rasputin'sLiver said:

I have the 3700 and its ok. it runs at the rated speed but not any faster and only at the most conservative timings - 2.5, 3, 3, 7

I second that.
I am not sure if anybody is actually running DDR >460(230Mhz) with tight timing, other than the reviewers.

Back