• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vpn port number?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimDgsr

Alright, I'm trying to set up a VPN. I don't really need one, just bored and playing around.

One machine is XP Pro, the other is 2k Pro. Both Machines are behind a Linksys Befsr41. On the xp box I set up an Incoming connection and assigned the user i wanted to have access to it. On the 2k machine I made two vpn connections. One dialed my private IP addressing scheme so it wouldn't have to go through the router, and worked. Now what I really wanted to do was set it up where I can connect to it from outside my network. So I set up the other VPN to hit my public IP address. On the router I forwarded port 1723 to my xp box, and no cigar. Apparently that's either not the right port, or I need to make some other changes. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

thanks

Tim

Check your router to see if it has the "VPN passthrough" feature, which is smart enough to figure all this out for itself. If not, try these:

1723 is for PPTP
1701(UDP) is for L2TP
500(UDP) is IPSec
If your doing L2TP over IPSEC, you don't need to open 1701, just 500.

it has a pptp pass through and an ipsec pass through, but not a vpn one. So far I tried both and neither is working, I tried all the ports suggested too, but I always get a 678 (no answer).

There's one other port used, at least on the Cisco side for IPSEC VPN tunnel so I don't know if it applies here, but it's TCP port 50 for ESP (Encapsulating Security Payload). All my firewalls that allow VPN's in need to allow UPD 500 and TCP 50.

:cool:

Port, protocol, same-same; from my aspect on the network it's a port, although yes it's TCP protocol 50. Open a port=allow a protocol. :)

:cool:

Actually, a protocol is very different from a port.

IPSec uses port 500, protocol #50 (ESP)
HTTP uses port 80, protocol #6 (TCP)

The IP protocol number is only important if you have a firewall strong enough to filter out different IP Protocol numbers (which isn't the case here).
http://www.iana.org/assignments/protocol-numbers

Back