• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a new processor. help!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natkroll

I have an Athlon 1800+ Xp and i want to upgrade to something better. I'm thinking of a 2100 or a 2200. Which one is easiest to overclock? Are there certian steppings to look for? Is the 2200 worth the extra dough or is the 2100 ok? I want a processor that can be easily brought to 2 Ghz and over without unlocking. I can up my FSB to about 280, but that's it. So if anyone can help me choose a processor and then maximize the speed, that would be great. Thanks!!

i would recomend a 1700+ tbred b , tog ethe most out thee 2100+ u'd need a pci lock plus they cost about 20$ more than teh 1700+. but even w/ a 1700 u might not ge the full potential out if bc u can only hit 140mhz fsb and 140x12.5=1750 mhz which would be ur max either way u'd be limited by ur mobo but maybe there's a 1700+ tbred a somwhere in teh clasifieds that may fi the bill wink wink

If you are not going to go for better RAM the XP2100 is a better choice as you will be limited by multi and FSB with the mobo you have if you go with XP1700 and may not achieve the full potential for the chip. With the XP2100 you have easier access to the higher multis than with the XP1700 on your mobo.

Back