• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it a great time to be any kind of gamer or what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC Noob

Great graphics, any console except for the big 3 for $40 or less and millions of titles new and old starting at literally $2 and up!

Its good times for gaming!

i dunno, i think in the last year or so the game devs have been putting too much importance on graphics. i know it's dumb that i say that when i own a 9700NP but it's just sad how some of the new games are these days.

on the other hand now is the best time to pick up some of the more 'classic' games if you don't already have them. games like Serious Sam (1 or 2), thief (1 or 2), Operation Flashpoint and the Delta Force series. they can all be found pretty cheap these days and are excellent games, the graphic arn't top notch by todays standards but the gameplay is awsome.

i actually spend more time the in 'bargin bin' section at microcenter and compusa then i do at the more recent games section.

It seems like computer games have concentrated more on multiplayer then the single player experience recently. There are a few great single player games like Morrowind, but most of the really good games have been multiplayer like BF1942.

Like you said tho, you can pick up some great titles for $10-20, not to mention all of the old console stuff you can get for dirt cheap.

John has it pegged. Granted I love great graphics but would trade them for great game play any day. Hence the strong CS following after all these years. Play ability is key. Same goes for D2:LOD, it has a quick bash and slash, point and click but its just plain fun. Also runs on my junk laptop to boot!

I dunno OCnoob.....max payne, splinter cell, both single player, both EXCELLENT games. Multiplayer is extremely important, but not as important as gameplay. The game itself has to be good before people start to play with the multiplayer.....nobody is gonna make a cool mod for a horrible game.

I agree with whoever said that game makers have focused too much on multiplayer. For instance BF1942 is awesome, if you have a high speed connection (which I dont). Now one game that I have grown to love, WCIII has an awesome single player campaign but is also an excellent multiplayer game and also runs fairly descent on my crappy connection (when bnet isnt jacking me around). But there are so many games out there that I would love to get into if only I wasnt limited by my connection speed. For instance CS, UT and UT2k3, Quake, and many others that just arent much fun to play by yourself or arent playable at all by yourself. One other thing about being an avid gameplayer nowdays, you need a pretty freaking mean machine to handle all the pretty graphics of todays games. I mean, if you dont have at least a 64MB ddr video card you are going to be in for a pretty expensive slide show with todays $40-$60 new releases. With all of that said though, I am happy to live in America where I can go and buy any game that I choose and sit on my fat *** and watch all of those pretty visuals for hours at a time if I choose.

How about a game with a good storyline and good characters.. halflife 2 looks like it could bring me what im looking for (Halo 2 if it ever comes out) and or Doom 3. i had my hopes up for devil may cry 2 it was supose to be amazing and have better graphics but that game just plain sucked balls. i do enjoy a good multiplayer but i also need a story everyonce in a while.. and there seems to be more multiplayer then story.

I feel alittle in between as to the game market currently. I mean we've gotten Battlefield 1942, Splinter Cell, and a few others like Max Payne and Gran Turismo 3, and don't forget GTA3!!!!!

However, we've also seen many developers get lazy, and either attempt at making money in a sequel, or boasting new graphics. A prime example is Unreal 2. Too much anticipation, and the graphics are nice, but the story is a tad weak.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is similar, in that the graphics were good, but the story was short. I beat this game in 2 days!!!!!????

I think we are about to enter a new phase, and get out of this sort of stale last few months.

Just look at this year's E3: GRAN TURISMO 4 (yea baby), DOOM 3, HALO, Half-life 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 (Which HAS been confirmed by Konami), Operation Flashpoint 2, and many many other great titles.

I think in the months to come will be the best time to be proud you are a gamer :)

yeah there are a bunch of great games out there, but it seems that a lot of them are the fps shooters, most of the games I own are fps shooters. I would like to see something new and exciting come out that's going to revolutionize gaming as we know it, and one thing im sure about is that Doom III is not going to be that game. Don't get me wrong I'm excited as the next guy about this game but it wont be anything but an graphical improvement of the usual space horror shooter.

DaveSauce said:
I dunno OCnoob.....max payne, splinter cell, both single player, both EXCELLENT games. Multiplayer is extremely important, but not as important as gameplay. The game itself has to be good before people start to play with the multiplayer.....nobody is gonna make a cool mod for a horrible game.

Games like UT2k3 and BF1942 are terrible at single player so not all games have to be good single players to attract multiplayer, but I understand what you are saying.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of now vs back when I was playing Nintendo or Atari paying $50 for the games. Now you can get Dreamcasts and N64s for less then that and the games are dirt cheap. We have tons of great new/used game shops now when back in the day you had to go to a department store or Toys R' Us.

Its a great age to game in:D

OC Noob said:
I was actually thinking more along the lines of now vs back when I was playing Nintendo or Atari paying $50 for the games. Now you can get Dreamcasts and N64s for less then that and the games are dirt cheap. We have tons of great new/used game shops now when back in the day you had to go to a department store or Toys R' Us.

in that respect, yes it most definatly the best time to be a gamer. i STILL fire up the old 8bit nes once in a while for a few hours of nostalgic gaming. (one of the most common 'games' for the NES was actually getting the games to run once you system get's old lol)

a few weeks ago i saw a guy selling a SNES with like 100 games for like $50. back when the system was new most of the games were more then $60 by themselves :eek: i would have bought it if i didn't already have virtually every game he was selling.

john240sx said:

in that respect, yes it most definatly the best time to be a gamer. i STILL fire up the old 8bit nes once in a while for a few hours of nostalgic gaming. (one of the most common 'games' for the NES was actually getting the games to run once you system get's old lol)
I remember that. Setting the game in the console in just the right position, blowing into the cartridge to try and get any dust out. Taking a Q-tip with rubbing alchohol on it to clean the head unit on the console etc. etc. You are right a Nintendo kept you entertained even before the actual gaming started lol. And the calouses from the extremely square gamepads and ruff edged buttons on them. Gawd those where the days, Excitebike and the many others that I loved. Onto the original topic though, as far as bargain bin shopping goes I just picked up the C&C pack with Red Strike ad-on for like $15. If I had realized this was that descent of a game I might have plopped down the $50 that they where asking for it 2 years ago. It would have been a nice deter from the usual SC and WCII at that time.

I'm looking forward to HL 2. Original Halflife was one of the best games made within the past few years. Great single play, great multiplay, and it offered great modability. Lately gaming companies have seemed to lose focus. UT is still way better than UT2k3 imho. Unreal 2 has great eye candy, but thats about it. If you have UT2k3, theres absolutely no reason to get UT2.

BF1924 had "decent" Single Play, but good Multiplay. Planetside looks to be decent, but I'm not sure if I'd pay ~$10 a month to play it. B.R.E.E.D. looks to be a great upcomming game, but we'll have to see.

Graphics are nice, but there has to be SUBSTANCE to the game to make it successful! Modability is also a BIG plus in multiplayer aspect.

Modability is a good point to bring up when it comes to games. That is what has seemed to make a great game the past few years is the ability to mod it into a better game for certain groups of people. That is one thing that has made WCIII a success IMHO since beating the campaign. The map mod tools have allowed users to create the TD maps and that is what I am hooked on right now. Sorry if it looks like I am jacking your thread OC NOOB but this one has sortof caught my eye. I myself have been looking for a game that captivates me like WCII, Diablo 1 and 2 and SC did (looks like I am a huge Blizzard fan now that I think about it).

MMORG super time =P if you ask me.

New counter strike, half life 2, New Doom, I mean its the future, Dues ex 2 is coming out soon. e/a bought superman rights, so thoes games be out sooner then your elize.

ITS A GREA TTIME =) but not great enouf. I wish I had been born in 10 years. thats the golden era =)

TUK101 said:
Modability is a good point to bring up when it comes to games. That is what has seemed to make a great game the past few years is the ability to mod it into a better game for certain groups of people. That is one thing that has made WCIII a success IMHO since beating the campaign. The map mod tools have allowed users to create the TD maps and that is what I am hooked on right now. Sorry if it looks like I am jacking your thread OC NOOB but this one has sortof caught my eye. I myself have been looking for a game that captivates me like WCII, Diablo 1 and 2 and SC did (looks like I am a huge Blizzard fan now that I think about it).

I meant this to be a pretty open topic so you are right on. Atleast IMO.

ps the NES gamepad was the first wasn't it?

Yes, I agree that it's a great time to be a gamer, but I still miss the NES/SNES/Genesis days. Back then graphics weren't the main focus simply because the technology wasn't in place yet, so instead gamers got treated to games that had engrossing storylines, well developed characters, and awesome replay value. IMO those elements make up a great game, and unfortunately I feel that today we are seeing less and less of that and more emphasis on looking at pretty pictures.

There are exceptions to this of course, such as Half-Life, Max Payne, Quake III, BF1942, and UT. I mean, look at CS....it has an engine that's 5 years old and it's still the most popular online game. Even though I personally don't care for CS (I like plain ol' HL Deathmatch), there's something to be said for that. :)

Back