• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SRB442

Hi,
After my recent lightning incedent I will need a new wireless router. I had a smc before and the range sucked. I want to go 125' to my shop outside and need recomendations. All the review are mixed at best. The router I have now would loose a signal if I walked down 1 flight of stairs and went outside and closed the door. I am out in the country so there is not a lot of interference and all electric is buried. I have looked at d-link,linsys and microsoft so far. I would like to use the wireles cards I have now also. If anyone has any of the newer models and know what range they are getting I would like to know. Thanks a lot Steve

I say you go with a linksys router & get the wireless signal booster.

Thanks for the suggestions. The d-link di-624 is the unit I am leaning toward. My router is near a window that faces where my shop is a clear shot of about 125'. The SMC had no range. Steve

Linksys makes a much more quality product than D-Link does. I've always found D-Link stuff to be rather cheaply made and lacking in features. The Linksys will reach the 125' to your shop, but even if it doesn't there's the option to add on the wireless signal booster. The D-Link doesn't have this option. I have the Linksys wireless router and it was a very good investment. You get what you pay for.

I have to warn you that even with WEP and other security measures, your signals are still prone to being intercepted, but even more than that, people between you & your store using appliances/electronics at a certain frequency will disrupt your signal.

Boy this is great!! The kind of information I was looking for. What model Linksys would be the best? Would the linksys be compatiable with my smc wireless cards? There is nothing but grass between the house and shop so interference would not be a problem. Form all the reading I did I never relized that the dlink had no booster option. Thanks a bunch. Steve

Thanks for the information. I was thinking of the WRT54g router. and see what kind of range I get. Also do these routers come with a built in firewall like my smc? Steve

SRB442 said:
Thanks for the information. I was thinking of the WRT54g router. and see what kind of range I get. Also do these routers come with a built in firewall like my smc? Steve

They have NAT and WEP security. You can also go with a software firewall for a little more security.

Got the linksys WRT54G wireless router. It works a little better than the smc. All the smc cards work with this router and will get the job done. Thanks for all the information. Steve

Back