• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slk-800u and 92mm panflo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm sure it is. There's a thread like this every day. "SLK-800 or 900 + or - U, with this fan?". Unless someone out there is actually using this combo, we know just as much as you do. I don't mean to be rude, it's just an observation. :)

The 800U doesn't technically support 92mm fans. Look at the posts though, NerdLogic had posted a setup with a 92mm fan, the tornado I believe, I think on an 800A heatsink.

Smithers

Wow...I never thought my guide would get so many recommendations... :D

You can go with the panaflo...You might not have to do as much bending as I did seeing as it's not as tall as the 92mm Tornado. You'd probably only have to do step 3 in my guide seeing as it's still going to hang over the sides...I believe I mentioned this in my guide...I hope. :D

Now I have to go check...

nerdlogic said:
Wow...I never thought my guide would get so many recommendations... :D

Heh he, well it's a good guide. I swear, everytime I visit the general cooling section, my eyes always glance over a thread that has the numbers "800" and "92", along with the words "can I", in it's title.

Yeah...I've been seeing a lot of these lately. Oh well, it gives me something to read and reply to so I don't mind, even though it does get a bit rendundant ...Plus, it helps people out, which I like doing. :) Have I mentioned that I'm addicted to the forums? :p

I have run the panaflo 92 on an slk800 by placing it diagonally on the sink. Worked fine though how much more efficient it is, is open to conjecture due to the overlap and thus loss of air flow through the sink. My personal opinion is that it is at best a negligable improvement at best due to the loss of this air and therefore the same or possibly less is actually entering into or around the heat sink. Take Care.:)

nerdlogic said:
Have I mentioned that I'm addicted to the forums? :p

7 stars...joined in February...hmmm...well, I'm sorry to say Ms. nerdlogic, but it appears you have a deadly case of ocforum-itis. :)

Hahahahaha....yep! it's not like I'm really even trying to stop it either. :D

It only took a bit of wriggling to get a 25mm 92 on my SLK. Had to pull the clips out from the sink a bit, but didn't have to put a real bend in them. Best to do this while the mobo is horizontal. I tried while mine was vertical and felt my heatsink move on the core. :( I had to take the whole thing out and reinstall the HS to make sure I had not screwed up my install.

I have run the panaflo 92 on an slk800 by placing it diagonally on the sink.

There's a pic of that in this article.

Silver said:
I have run the panaflo 92 on an slk800 by placing it diagonally on the sink. Worked fine though how much more efficient it is, is open to conjecture due to the overlap and thus loss of air flow through the sink. My personal opinion is that it is at best a negligable improvement at best due to the loss of this air and therefore the same or possibly less is actually entering into or around the heat sink. Take Care.:)

Have you tried mounting it flush with the HS? If so, any temp difference? It looks like an interesting setup.

ok thanks guy ill be going with the 92mm now---

ok also i got another question!

do you guys think i should have it blowing air onto, or away from the HS?
ive heard that both can be good, but i really do not know

The SLK-800 is designed to have the air blowing onto the HS...especially with that panaflo (lower CFM/static air pressure compared to a Tornado or SmartFanII).

However, if you're really curious, you can test it both ways and see what gives you better results. You can monitor your temps via Motherboard Monitor or SpeedFan.

I tried that as well in the quest to understand why I was not getting the expected cooling efficiency increase. Pulling through the sink actually resulted in slightly higher temps. Interesting note, carefully touch the heat sink while the computer is running and you will find the base rather warm while higher up the sink is cool. Definately an efficiency problem here. One single water pass through the core of the sink leaving the fan intact, now there might be an idea.;)

Back